• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home/Small Office Data Storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home/Small Office Data Storage

What are the best options for home storage.?

Ideally I need something that takes almost zero time to set up, is small and includes some redundancy so allow for disk failures

Something like this:
    Buffalo Linkstation Duo 2TB High Performance Multimedia Shared Raid Network Storage ( NAS ): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Coffee's for closers

I have an iomega storecentre that has 4gb set as a 2gb raid.

Various online reviews claim it's noisy but it isn't.

Only issue for me is using timemachine since upgrading to Lion - not that this is an issue for you I suspect.

It has loads more features than I use (media server, ftp, torrent etc)

Comment

I have an Iomega Storcenter iX2 and it is awful, awful, awful, awful, awful. Dont get one of those!

Massively noisy, incredibly slow and seems to be forever saying its raid array is broken and its rebuilding it. Their customer support is appalling too. I got in touch with them saying I really wasn't happy with the thing and they just said tough, they dont make any claims about its noise or speed.
      Last edited by Durbs; 4 October 2011, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        I have an Iomega Storcenter iX2 and it is awful, awful, awful, awful, awful. Dont get one of those!

Massively noisy, incredibly slow and seems to be forever saying its raid array is broken and it rebuilding it. Their customer support is appalling too. I got in touch with them saying I really wasn't happy with the thing and they just said tough, they dont make any claims about its noise or speed.
        I haven't had these issues at all. I did see reviews saying it was noisy but mine just isn't IMO.

YMMV as always.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          I haven't had these issues at all. I did see reviews saying it was noisy but mine just isn't IMO.

YMMV as always.
          TBF to durbs the amazon reviews seem to better reflect his experience!

But this seems to be my problem, almost all the consumer level "protected" storage devices seem to get <4 stars
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Netgear ReadyNas Duo

or

D-Link ShareCenter DNS-320

Both offer raid 1 to protect against drive failure.

Buy two and locate at opposite ends of house, or other physical location to protect against data loss.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

After lots of experimentation, I've finally settled on this as my backup/storage strategy:

- Ancient old Compaq tablet laptop running XP Tablet edition on the kiosk-style docking station. This acts as essentially my home server plus home security station (Motorola Homesight)
              - Connected to that are two 2x1TB USB2 RAID1 boxes, one is for full system backups/Time Machine, the other is for my videos, music, docs, etc.
              - The document folders are synched in various ways using Windows Live Mesh meaning I get live backups whenever I change a document anywhere I get an internet connection. The Mac client for it is remarkably robust and is probably Microsoft's best ever release, and it's free!
              - The music and video folders are synched about once a month to an even older machine stuck away in my detached garage. Music folders are auto synched to mine and my wife's laptops.

Might not be ideal but it's built using a bits & pieces approach over the years. It'd be a pain to replace it properly while still getting the same functionality. I need that laptop on anyway for the SMTP server on the home security system so it made sense at the time to put first one then the other USB2 drive enclosures onto it.

Comment

One bit of my backup/storage systems that DOES work well is a cheap Compaq ML115 Server fitted with cheap Crucial memory and cheap disks.

You can pick them up for around £100 and they are good rock solid reliable servers and i can also use it for VM's as well as network storage.

Doubtless, a cheap NAS box is a better bet though if you just want a storage location so all I can say is keep checking reviews, there was one home NAS box that seemed to be universally liked but cant remember its name but should hopefully show up on review checks.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Netgear ReadyNas Duo
                  WPS +1
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Anyone considered Livedrive? It's a few quid a month and is basically a clone of your data held for 30 days so you've got that long to recover it.

It's net based so recovery and initial backup is slow, but it's essentially rsync'ing the whole time so if your data goes pop, it's safe.

I use it, haven't had to rely on it but I know my stuff is safe in a proper data centre rather than a cheapo home commodity box just as reliable or as unreliable as my PC/Mac.

Forgot to say unlimited data...

Comment

Working...
                    X