• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home/Small Office Data Storage"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Thanks eek. I was a bit unsure. No USB 3 here yet anyway.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Since all the releases seem to be beta status, which one did you go for?
    4.7.1 is the current release and is what I'm using.

The people on the forums are testing the 5.0 betas but there is little need to go there yet unless you are planning to use 3.0tb disks.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stuker View Post
    for microserver + unRAID....

ive tried microserver + WHS and Microserver + FreeNAS but for me unRAID takes the cake
    Since all the releases seem to be beta status, which one did you go for?

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Currently using Storage Options indoor SON-IPC1, which has ethernet, wifi, pan/tilt motion detect etc for around 70 quid. Liked it so much I bought the Storage Options outdoor cam, which is not on the Synology supported list. Doh.

Works well as a standalone camera, and will do most of the stuff that the synology handles using it's internal server. Cabled it up to the garage using a couple of devolo ethernet-over-power connectors. It emails me nice pictures of the postman delivering the mail. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• stuker
    replied
    + 1...

Originally posted by eek View Post
    HP Microserver + Unraid. I can't comment FreeNAS but I've successfully recovered 1.5tb of data when a disk failed on my unraid server.

for microserver + unRAID....

ive tried microserver + WHS and Microserver + FreeNAS but for me unRAID takes the cake

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    What cameras you got? I caught some scrotes trying to break in the back of the neighbours a few weeks back so have been thinking of getting one to cover the back garden and one my sheds out back that has my motorbike and all its kit in it.
    I was fiddling with my NAS over the weekend and it too has a surveillance facility.

I would be interested to know what cameras you are using, as would love to catch some fly tipping bar stewards in the side road next to our house as well as general home security.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Just added some IP cameras to it to monitor the house, and it emails me pics of intruders.
    What cameras you got? I caught some scrotes trying to break in the back of the neighbours a few weeks back so have been thinking of getting one to cover the back garden and one my sheds out back that has my motorbike and all its kit in it.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Synology seconded. I have the 411+ii - nice bit of kit and the OS does some brilliant stuff. Just added some IP cameras to it to monitor the house, and it emails me pics of intruders. Plus the 4x 3Tb disks should keep me in safe, RAID5 stotage for a while.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I have a QNAP 410 Turbo NAS, 4x 1Tb drive configured as 2.7Tb Raid 5 volume.

No issues with it, yet, but I have only had it a few weeks.
    WHS, but 4x2TB as one RAID5 volume.

Leave a comment:

• Joeman
    replied
    I have an iOmega Cloud Edition Home Media drive which i have attached to the house LAN to stream movies to the TV and for filebackup.
    Howerver, i also backup to Amazon S3 and more recently (since google now accept any file type) i backup to Google Docs.
    Im a big fan of offsite backup as if my house burns down, a NAS drive wont save my data!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Synology 411J NAS is sat in chef towers with 4x2Tb setup in RAID5 giving me 6Tb to play with a 1 disk redundancy but as its also setup to email me when a disk dies or the config changes and thats been tested Im happy. If I was away and a disk died then swapping drives is so easy gf chef could do it via a phonecall from me and a new drive would be on amazon prime next day delivery.

Its been running ages and never hiccupped once, I upgraded from 3x500Gb disk to the 4x25Tb disks and is worked like a charm in rebuilding itself. It is used as my media server for videos/movies, photos. Its an iTunes server for my music (also recognised and plays in my HTPC Media Center), its my central backup location for all pcs/laptops and Im in the process of setting it up as my webserver.

The only downside is its f'ugly but as it lives in a cupboard I dont care. Its connected to the router at 1Gb using CAT6 and runs fairly quietly and also has a power saver setting for nightimes or when its not being used.overall Im highly impressed.
    Last edited by chef; 11 October 2011, 06:14.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I have a QNAP TS419 with 4 x 1.5TB drives running Raid 1, with drives paired from different manufacturers (2 drives from each of 2 manufacturers, mirroring across different manufacturers drives), been running 18 months without a hicup as yet.

Previously I had an old PIII PC with an old sata raid controller installed, and 4 drives hanging off, running freenas, but it was noisy and power hungry

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I have a QNAP 410 Turbo NAS, 4x 1Tb drive configured as 2.7Tb Raid 5 volume.

No issues with it, yet, but I have only had it a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    And then you have to replace the broken one, I can see the benefit for companies where the downtime might be a problem but for most people at home it's not really necessary IMO.
    I see where the purposes are crossed

I was looking for primary storage which has redundancy built in, not just a backup solution for PC/Laptop

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    But if that one device fails you still have your data on 3 other devices
    And then you have to replace the broken one, I can see the benefit for companies where the downtime might be a problem but for most people at home it's not really necessary IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X