• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used PowerBasic or QuickBasic for Windows dev?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Because he went for the obvious bob. Mind you a remember discussions on here recently that E Europe developers aren't cheap nowadays (and from my last conversation with them they're not).
    Mine are cheap... at least by my standards. Under $20/hr isn't the $8/hr you get in India but still 1/3 the cost of a bog-standard UK contractor, and while not awesomely skilled they are better than 1/3 as good
    Putting together a small team with myself as techy lead has worked well in the past as way to keep costs low and have a gatekeeper on quality.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      No I just want a way of showing him what GUI I want.
      My question is that feasible?
      Ah.... IIRC the UI style of PowerBasic is a bit behind the times, and I think you have to buy an add-on to get a GUI screen builder. Read their website carefully...

EDIT: Actually, Visual Fox Pro has a good GUI builder

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Ah.... IIRC the UI style of PowerBasic is a bit behind the times, and I think you have to buy an add-on to get a GUI screen builder. Read their website carefully...

EDIT: Actually, Visual Fox Pro has a good GUI builder

Visual Fox Poo

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Sas, does Delphi still exist? That would've been a good tool for this.
          Yes and no. When I was using it, Delphi apps had a distinctive look and I could tell from just looking at a screen shot. The point of the exercise is not to have Bob try and recreate that.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Visual Studio Express is the obvious choice, end of.

Drag 'n' Drop winforms, costs nothing, can put a bit of VB.NET or C# code behind events to give the prototype a bit of life.

Simples.

Comment

You want a proper requirements visualisation / prototyping tool. Like:

Balsamiq Mockups | Balsamiq

Or:

http://www.axure.com/

Or:

iRise Home
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Tend to use VB.net in VS, good dev system. Never realised how good until I started having to use Eclipse for Android stuff. Various freeware versions of VS although assume you need to have licenced version to release commercial progs.

PS Off topic but I still use VB6 for quickly knocking up little utils for my own use. It works fine on Windows 7 if you do run as administrator.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X