• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding memory to an iMac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding memory to an iMac

How easy is it to do?

(It was much easier than I expected when I added memory to a PC)

I'm thinking of buying a refurbished iMac and adding 4gb to a 4gb machine (I haven't seen any 8gb refurbished models).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Check the one you are buying can support 8GB.

If it's a newish one you should be ok.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

its really simple. The only issue is that macs are very particular about the speed of memory.

Thankfully crucial offer a great tool to find compatible memory; Crucial Memory Upgrades for Macs - Apple Memory

Then you can find what works and go find a cheaper alternative from somewhere like eBuyer!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        How easy is it to do?

(It was much easier than I expected when I added memory to a PC)

I'm thinking of buying a refurbished iMac and adding 4gb to a 4gb machine (I haven't seen any 8gb refurbished models).
        If you found it easy on a pc it's even easier on an iMac.

Just dont buy apple branded memory. Check the spec you want and shop around, it will be ahlf the price, or better.

Instructions Here.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I can recommend Crucial memory checker and Crucial memory. It will probably be a compettive price at Crucials website and last time I ordered from Crucial the price included next day delivery. Worth buying from them IMO as it is guaranteeed to work.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I can recommend Crucial memory checker and Crucial memory. It will probably be a compettive price at Crucials website and last time I ordered from Crucial the price included next day delivery. Worth buying from them IMO as it is guaranteeed to work.
            The last time I was checking, they weren't too much cheaper (<£10) than having apple install 2x 4GB on a new machine.

The crucial memory checker also correctly identified that my macbook was maxed out at 2GB (hence why I was looking for a new one!).

Not sure apple will upgrade a refurb though so agree crucial is probably the best bet.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

+1 for Crucial. The other year I placed an order on their web site at half-four in the afternoon, and it arrived in the post the next morning.

Comment

+1 for crucial, I have bought loads of memory from them over the years for PCs, and also bought things based on the spec for cisco routers and sun boxes and it's all worked. They're basically the consumer face of micron, one of the biggest semiconducter companies (and DRAM makers) in the world.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X