• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC won't post/boot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC won't post/boot

Ok so I've had the lid off.

When it tries to start the CPU and PSU fans spin briefly then stop. No beep, nada. There is an orange light that remains lit on the mboard.

Any ideas?

TIA

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Ok so I've had the lid off.

When it tries to start the CPU and PSU fans spin briefly then stop. No beep, nada. There is an orange light that remains lit on the mboard.

Any ideas?

TIA
    Sounds like a dud motherboard to me.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Motherboard, PSU or CPU are likely culprits.

If there is some kind of PSU issue, or a short circuit detected at power on, it will shut down to prevent further damage.

Start by disconnecting PSU connections to all components except the motherboard (hard drive, DVD drive, graphics card, etc)

Then power on - see if it does more.

If it does, then the issue may be one of the unplugged components, or it could be one of the PSU outputs (they are various voltages, polarities, etc)

plug each component back in and power on, one component at a time until it breaks again.

If nothing more happens with everything disconnected, then remove and re-seat the CPU and try again.

Rob

Comment

Anything written on the PCB around the light?

I had this issue on my home server, till I read the writing above the light - turned out to be a loose piece of RAM.
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

I have a PC Chips ML810 that fails to start sometimes so I have to clear the CMOS settings before it will start up again. There should be a marked jumper to short otherwise remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and see if that helps.

Comment

As ee61r says this can be caused by one faulty board. After a lighting strike on the telephone cable my PC would not boot. Took out the network card and it was ok apart from that slot.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X