• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Yeah. My biggest Missing App: Textpad. Simple, but it and I have learned to get along so well.....

Next one along, when I get to it: a 16-bit/channel photo editor. Gimp is great for Photoshop-like manipulations, but it's only 8-bit/channel. That's not good enough for serious retouching of scans of old emulsion. Lightzone is superb for getting your photos done and dusted and out the door in no time (and looking better than you thought possible) and it is 16-bit/channel; but it doesn't quite have PS's retouching capabilities. I had been hoping to avoid buying PS for the Mac. Oh well.
    I use iPhoto to touch up my party pics mostly. I shoot RAW with my DSLR and hence use Aperture to process the RAW files.

I don't really manipulate images with PS or the like, but the odd time I do I use PS Elements...

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      God. The last time I went to an Apple Store (Bristol) to look at the new MacBook, I knew more about the product than they did.

Still, it was the look and feel of the thing that sold me - even though I didn't actually buy it from them.
      Been in PC world recently? Last time I went there the guy trying to sell me AV and "PC Management" software was a 1st year medical student...
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yeah. My biggest Missing App: Textpad. Simple, but it and I have learned to get along so well.....
        Take a look at BBEdit.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Take a look at BBEdit.
          TextMate is very highly regarded by many developers of my acquaintance (although I just stick with Eclipse).

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Try Textmate.

I haven't ever had the need to use anything other than iPhoto for retouching, but I read good things about Aperture.
            Thanks. May also try TextWrangler. Doesn't matter yet as I don't develop on it, but I'm just so practiced with Textpad (e.g. frequently use Block cut/paste).

Edit (TextWrangler being BBEdit Lite, so they say). But while I'm asking: Block cut/paste - you know, highlight a rectangular block and drag it, and the rectangular block is dragged to the new location (both line and column). Say hightligh columns 11-20 of lines 51-70; then drag that to line 21 column 41, and the rectangular block is dragged to cols 41-50 on lines 21-40. Hard to explain, easy to see and use.

For retouching, the problem is quite specific: it is for scans of old film, which needs initial retouching in 16bit. Nothing you need to do to digital needs that. I don't need general recommendations on photo tools, I need specific knowledge on where to get 16bit/channel with good spotting and healing-brush tools.

Answer 1: buy another copy of Photoshop. I#m looking for Answer 2
            Last edited by expat; 21 January 2009, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              TextMate is very highly regarded by many developers of my acquaintance (although I just stick with Eclipse).
              Another vote for TextMate, although its development seems to have stagnated somewhat.

Never liked BBEdit.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

For retouching, the problem is quite specific: it is for scans of old film, which needs initial retouching in 16bit. Nothing you need to do to digital needs that. I don't need general recommendations on photo tools, I need specific knowledge on where to get 16bit/channel with good spotting and healing-brush tools.

Answer 1: buy another copy of Photoshop. I#m looking for Answer 2
                Is this any good for you (it doesn't specify 16bit in the specs)?

It's free to try, if you like it, I think I've still got a licence code knocking around from a bundle which you can have if you like.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It's free to try, if you like it, I think I've still got a licence code knocking around from a bundle which you can have if you like.
                  It's built on ImageMagick, which supports 16 bit AFAIK.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like an impressive product but I don't know it at all. The specs don't mention bit depth, and it doesn't seem to have the Healing Brush.

My favourite editing program Lightzone does have the Clone Stamp, but PS's HEaling Brush is really irreplaceable. However.... this is now in PS Elements, which is down to 55.00 so quite on the cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X