• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Mac

Is there much point shopping around for a MacBook, or do Apple force prices to be fairly consistent? I've not seen much spread in prices from a quick look, I'l looking for a new aluminium MacBook. Somewhere that lets me buy as a business is preferred.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Worth looking around.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/cl/27/L...ers?man_id=162
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There's the odd bargain to be had here if you don't mind a refurbed one.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...G-UK_Refurb-UK

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Is there much point shopping around for a MacBook, or do Apple force prices to be fairly consistent? I've not seen much spread in prices from a quick look, I'l looking for a new aluminium MacBook. Somewhere that lets me buy as a business is preferred.
        No matter how much it pains me to say this... but go to the Apple Store... get the feel of what Mac you want... then look on Pricerunner and see which one is cheaper. It is probably better to speak to the company themselves as they tend to know what they are selling rather than a box-shifter.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          No matter how much it pains me to say this... but go to the Apple Store... get the feel of what Mac you want... then look on Pricerunner and see which one is cheaper. It is probably better to speak to the company themselves as they tend to know what they are selling rather than a box-shifter.
          God. The last time I went to an Apple Store (Bristol) to look at the new MacBook, I knew more about the product than they did.

Still, it was the look and feel of the thing that sold me - even though I didn't actually buy it from them.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            God. The last time I went to an Apple Store (Bristol) to look at the new MacBook, I knew more about the product than they did.

Still, it was the look and feel of the thing that sold me - even though I didn't actually buy it from them.
            Yeah. That probably represents most of their sales quite well. Selling look-and-feel, and brand name. And "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" and "It just works" commercials.

Sad, very sad, especially considering that the things are actually excellent systems.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Yeah. That probably represents most of their sales quite well. Selling look-and-feel, and brand name. And "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" and "It just works" commercials.

Sad, very sad, especially considering that the things are actually excellent systems.
              Too right. Mac users who do more than just surf and email know that it bloody doesn't 'just work'. I still prefer OS X over Win or *nix though for a host of reasons - not all of them rational.

It annoys me that Apple never market using their strengths, only this pathetic negative marketing, childishly knocking MS (and insulting Windows users).

Comment

Too right. Mac users who do more than just surf and email know that it bloody doesn't 'just work'. I still prefer OS X over Win or *nix though for a host of reasons - not all of them rational.

It annoys me that Apple never market using their strengths, only this pathetic negative marketing, childishly knocking MS (and insulting Windows users).
                So will you be dual booting your mac with Windows then?
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  So will you be dual booting your mac with Windows then?
                  No. VMWare Fusion (only for QuickBooks)

Comment

I recently got a Mac, the attraction of what it really is finally triumphing over my long-standing distaste for the myth.

My most frequently-muttered phrase is indeed "it bloody doesn't just work". But I like using it. It is good, very good. It doesn't "just work", but once you have made it work, it works right (if I may attempt my own too-concise phrase).

Still annoys me though: do I have to have an illuminated logo on the lid?

Comment

Working...
                    X