• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blu Ray

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a question - why a dvd recorder?

Why not a pvr?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
      Err, that's exactly why I have gone for the PS3.

Plus its supposed to be a LOT quieter in operation than the 360.
      Didn't fancy many decent games then.

The 360 isn’t very loud on the dashboard which is all you need for streaming... it’s the DVD that sounds like a jet engine.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Just a question - why a dvd recorder?

Why not a pvr?
        I'd go for a PVR like that Humax if I could get the recordings off it.

Comment

A PC (or Mac) just for streaming seems like overkill to me. I can do that (in SD) with a 20 quid XBOX and XBMC.

What about HD streaming? Does the Mac have a HD output?

I am only moving to the PS3 (from the XBOX/XBMC combo) to get HD streaming and Blu Ray.

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          That's why I have a Mac Mini. It's quieter than both of them.

I have a 360 for games.
          DVD for movies
          Mac Mini for streaming media.

Will most likely opt for HD-DVD when I get round to getting an HD TV.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
            A PC (or Mac) just for streaming seems like overkill to me. I can do that (in SD) with a 20 quid XBOX and XBMC.

What about HD streaming? Does the Mac have a HD output?

I am only moving to the PS3 (from the XBOX/XBMC combo) to get HD streaming and Blu Ray.
            XBMC has been superb value these past 4 or 5 years (IIRC) and even now continues to grow - you can get plugins to stream from a Dreambox satellite receiver, for example. I can't wait to get hold of a decent equivalent with a HDMI output, but I've got to.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Despite all the Bluray blurb I don't know anyone who has a dedicated Bluray player and Sony have a bad track record on trying to introduce new formats... Betamax, minidisk etc, it may look popular now but Betamax was pushed for years before they finally gave up.

Betamax was the better format, it just didn't get the support from the people who released the movies.

Sony have learnt since this and have bought the rights to a lot of films that will only be available on Blue Ray format if you want to watch them in HD. Sony will never release these films on HD-DVD so either Blue-Ray will win the format war, or there will always be Blue-Ray and HD-DVD and we will have a bunch of players that can handle both disks (Blue-Ray drive and an HD-DVD drive).

I will probably be looking at buying a PS3 at some point next year to get some Blue-Ray goodness and a free games console in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                I will probably be looking at buying a PS3 at some point next year to get some Blue-Ray goodness and a free games console in the mix.
                Do it. Worth it for the upscaling of your existing DVD collection alone imo

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                  I'm fairly certain you can - I'll find out more and let you know...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Do it. Worth it for the upscaling of your existing DVD collection alone imo
                    On a slightly unrelated note, does anybody know of any computer software that upscales DVD's?

My monitor can do High Definition and it would be nice to get a look at an upscaled DVD to see what the image quality is like.

Also I'm in two minds atm as to wheather to buy a new PVR, the latest PVR's from SONY, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung etc all have around 160Gb of hard drive space, the ability to read an record DVD's and they can upscale to 1080p. I have been tempted to buy one to reduce the amount of boxes under the TV and get upscaling as a bonus, but I would also like to build a media centre PC so I can shuttle TV around the network and into any room I desire. not sure what to do atm....

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                      VideoRedo will do this for you. The Humax has a usb connection on the front of the box (hidden by a cover) that you plug into your machine.
                      Last edited by cojak; 27 December 2007, 13:12.

Comment

Working...
                      X