• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blu Ray

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
    I was more thinking of the physical logistics i.e. how do you get the video feed on to the TV from the PC.

I guess if you had a laptop with a Blu Ray drive and (digital) video out it would work but a desktop PC with full sized drive would be a bit impractical. Or am I missing something?
    The graphics card I have in mind has HDMI out.

The PC I am thinking of will be a media centre jobbie and will sit under my 50" telly. There are some similar specced PCs on ebay, but I reckon I can do it better and cheaper (it will still be expensive though).

Still not sure as all my mates use 360s and we do occasionaly use my wired hub for multi player.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Forgot to mention - also watch out for the various flavours of Wireless HDMI turning up next year!

Comment

I was in Comet this lunchtime and looking at their BluRay demo on various sized LCD panels..... err they all looked a bit blue!! distinct hue to the output

Comment

PS3 being delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the help all.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            PS3 being delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the help all.
            Enjoy

Get signed up to the Playstation Store... then you can download the Gran Turismo HD game (only 1 track but it looks gorgeous)
            Plenty of other little games to down load for a couple of quid too, should keep you entertained inbetween watching stuff
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              should keep you entertained inbetween watching stuff
              wife is gonna be pissed but she'll get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                wife is gonna be pissed but she'll get over it.
                check out the www.oldnrubbish.co.uk group
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                  Blu-Ray has more layers of DRM, therefore I favour HD-DVD. Not that I have an HD TV yet of course...
                  Not only that but I believe that an SD version of the movie is on the opposite side so you can buy HD movies now and wait till the price of the players come down, I think Toshiba have one for <£199 already.

Despite all the Bluray blurb I don't know anyone who has a dedicated Bluray player and Sony have a bad track record on trying to introduce new formats... Betamax, minidisk etc, it may look popular now but Betamax was pushed for years before they finally gave up.

I don't how many people have 360's but a recent update means you can now stream DivX direct from your PC (providing the 360 is networked) so downloading movie torrents and watching on a big screen is a piece of pi55.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Err, that's exactly why I have gone for the PS3.

Plus its supposed to be a LOT quieter in operation than the 360.

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I don't how many people have 360's but a recent update means you can now stream DivX direct from your PC (providing the 360 is networked) so downloading movie torrents and watching on a big screen is a piece of pi55.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
                      Err, that's exactly why I have gone for the PS3.

Plus its supposed to be a LOT quieter in operation than the 360.
                      That's why I have a Mac Mini. It's quieter than both of them.

I have a 360 for games.
                      DVD for movies
                      Mac Mini for streaming media.

Will most likely opt for HD-DVD when I get round to getting an HD TV.
                      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                      X