• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blu Ray

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu Ray

Anybody own a blu ray DVD player? Any recommendations?

Ps 3
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Ps 3
      Yeah have thought of that. Am not really interested in the gaming side though so would actually prefer a stand-alone player.

Comment

Interested in media streaming?

I'm not into gaming at all but am interested in Blu Ray and streaming HD video round the house. On the strength of Sony's announcement for support of DivX (the update is out today as a matter of interest) I bought a PS3.

This will replace one of my aging XBMC XBOXes which cannot stream HD.

And occasionally I might let the kids play games on it

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Yeah have thought of that. Am not really interested in the gaming side though so would actually prefer a stand-alone player.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
          Interested in media streaming?
          I am. Although the question was more born out of the fact that the missus has confirmed my new LCD has arrived today

Comment

I looked at the PS3 as a blu ray which you can play games on rather than a console which does Blu Ray.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

To me its an HD media streamer, which has a Blu Ray and happens to play games.

Mine isn't even opened yet (Xmas pressie!)

Comment

A mate has just bought a PS3 on the back of some What Home Cinema-type rag that said it's currently the best value BluRay player going, plus it can stream very well (use a Linux disc if you don't like the built in Divx).

I might get round to it next year too. XBMC still rocks for me as I haven't gone HD yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                  A mate has just bought a PS3 on the back of some What Home Cinema-type rag that said it's currently the best value BluRay player going, plus it can stream very well (use a Linux disc if you don't like the built in Divx).

I might get round to it next year too. XBMC still rocks for me as I haven't gone HD yet.
                  Yeah I have also read a load of reviews that suggest the PS3 offers the best value for money.

Comment

isn't the PS3 currently the cheapest blu ray player currrently on the market?

if you want to use it properly you'll also need to buy
                    1 HDMI or component cable
                    1 DVD controller

From personal experience i've been very pleased with how the PS3 works, the picture quality is superb, DVD's are upscaled far better than the TV (Samsung 42" HDTV) manages which has now made the old DVD player completely redundant, especially as the PS3 will startup, load and play a DVD quicker than the stand alone DVD player.

I've only experienced audio through the TV speakers so can't comment on that.

Connecting the PS3 to the network was a doddle, as was setting up the media server capabilities for media sharing. Only downside there is that MY wireless network is too slow for video.

Plenty of slots on the front for other media, inc USB, still haven't tried attaching a USB hard drive though. However, using the memory card slots on the front I could show holiday snaps on the big screen with minimal fuss, i just plugged the memory card into the slot and was up and running.

Web browsing means you can go online shopping with the mrs without having to huddle round a monitor or laptop

TV recording is a planned addition

oh.. and as a very special party peice it does games as well and with the motion sensor controllor i even got my pensioner parents playing on a couple of games
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X