• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Register domain and hosting recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Register domain and hosting recommendations

My wife, silly as she is, is saying she needs a website and domain.

There are so many registrars and hosts I've no idea which one to choose. I thought about Zen but then there's Daily, 123 etc.. which one gives the best deal and simple T&C.

She's giving me the hurry up on this..wants me to pay for it too! What am I a bank. And then I'll "charge" her and she'll take it all back as some kind of kick back......Women have you not been hearing about Conrad Black?

Cheers.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Mine is hosted with 1&1. Cheap, no problems, choice of mail solutions, platforms, services etc. Comes with a DIY site building interface as well that will produce something that looks reasonable as long as you dont want anything too fancy.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Zen host my domain and website. £25 yearly for domain hosting, £3.99 monthly for web hosting. Probably not the cheapest, but it's reliable and the service is excellent.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I am with 1and1 as well, I've found them to be cheap and cheerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangutan
          I am with 1and1 as well, I've found them to be cheap and cheerful.
          Too cheap for me to be cheered. Their French operation sooked big time. Maybe the UK version is better but I gave them up in anger, and so did a colleague the same day! By chance we both had the same problem: they failed to renew the domain at the Registrar before the expiry date (in both cases it was (surname).com so not one you'd want to lose).

In my case they also lost a lot of emails. Support said there was no problem with their server, and suggested all the usual "you must have configured your email client to delete from server". When I said that I never did that, because I kept my mails on the server in order to access them from several places, they claimed that the clause in T&Cs that said that I had to "access" my email at least once a month meant that I had to download and delete all mail at least once a month! And since I hadn't anything that happened was my fault.

It kept happening over several days, when I was close to looking for a contract, so in panic I changed my email config to be a redirect elsewhere, instead of a mailbox.

Then later it became a mailbox again without me touching it - but an empty one.

Explanation? they had done some maintenance on the server. Support didn't know about that, but that was not a "problem". During this, emails were stored elsewhere and not visible on the server. They were "not lost". OK.

However, my action in reconfiguring to a forward, meant that when they restored the emails, the restore on mine failed. This was regared as a "success" and the backup deleted.

All my fault, apparently. There was not a hint of acceptance of responsibility, far less apology, for:
          1. taking my mails out of my mailbox
          2. telling me that there was no problem with the server.
          3. telling me that it must be my email client that deleted them
          4. "restoring" the emails unsuccessfully without notice
          5. deleting the backup (or at least refusing to try to restore mine).
          God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I've heard bad things about 1and1.

I use Godaddy for domains and hostgator for hosting. They have a Cpanel which make installing things like Joomla and Wordpress very easy.

My main website is hosted with Site Build It! which is an all out internet marketing package. It's pricey at $299 a year but more than worth the money, I'm on the top 10 of Google for about 10 quite competitive keywords- getting about 250 unique visitors a day.

Starting to make a bit of money! At this rate I might be able to 'quit the day job'
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Thanks for the warnings about 1and1.
              This was my first venture into owning a domain, so I was bound to make some mistakes.

I'll revise what I said earlier to "cheap & haven't done anything to annoy me yet"

Comment

What's the website going to be about?

It's a good SEO trick to have your main site concept keywords in your domain name so if you have a site about golf tips and you know people are searching on words related to golf tips a good name to register would be golf-tips.com.

Here are some places you can do keyword research to come up with a good name as well as find good keywords to optimise:

http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

HTH
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I have domains with GoDaddy and Namecheap, both are excellent never had any problems and a lot cheaper than pretty much all UK based services providers.

For hosting I have used hostgator in the past brilliant with no issues and currently with hostmysite as I needed .net hosting, again no complaints.

I would definitely recommend that you have domain and web hosting from different companies, in the event that your web host turns out to have lots of problems and I wish to move you simply get a new host, re-point your domain and cut your loses. With hosting I would also recommend that you sign up for no more than a three months at a time, the reason being if the web host turns out to be cr@p then you have only paid for a month so change host and cut your losses, if you had paid up for the year you will have a lot more to lose.

HTH

Comment

Registered domains with 123-reg and hosting with cyberhostpro

no probs with either to be honest but then I don't do anything that heavy.

Comment

Working...
                    X