• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Register domain and hosting recommendations"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I use 123reg to register any .co.uk domains.

.com and hosting I use PowWeb.com as I find that American hosting is cheaper than the UK.

Had three sites with them for three years at least, with only one problem so far - they found a bug in the file system they were using so the site was down for 2 days. I got a free month back from them though. No idea what the current pricing is - it used to be $7.77 a month, but there are always offers going on.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Reccomend Supanames, reliable and they also provide prompt support replies by email. Just don't put anything rude on the site, they seem a bit Mary Whitehouse.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I have used LCN and 123 reg to purchase domain names in the past. LCN ended up being quite expensive and I still get reminders telling me I need to renew domains that I have transferred accross to 123 reg (have a couple of mails telling me the domains have been locked when they obviously haven't).

With this in mind I'd probably steer clear of LCN, if they don't even know which domains they are holding what is the chance of them not knowing what has gone wrong when to get technical difficulties?

As for website hosting, <blatant pimpage> click the link in my sig </blatant pimpage>
    LCN lost my mail for about 3 days over a weekend last year. Started coming through in dribs and drabs mid-Tuesday.

They had basically had a complete meltdown and the whole place had gone to pot. Never had an apology or any acknowledgment that anything was wrong.

SInce then though they have been fine.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I have used LCN and 123 reg to purchase domain names in the past. LCN ended up being quite expensive and I still get reminders telling me I need to renew domains that I have transferred accross to 123 reg (have a couple of mails telling me the domains have been locked when they obviously haven't).

With this in mind I'd probably steer clear of LCN, if they don't even know which domains they are holding what is the chance of them not knowing what has gone wrong when to get technical difficulties?

As for website hosting, <blatant pimpage> click the link in my sig </blatant pimpage>

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Thanks, I've no problems at all going with an American supplier. As long as the billing can be done properly. You get a whole lot for your money, and quite often the service is better.

Its the bit of Americanization of Britian I wish would foster the greatest (we've got the materialistic bit down pat).

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I use Polurnet for my hosting.

I pay $4.99 a month (£2.42)

This is my package :

250 MB Space / 10 GB Bandwidth

cPanel with RVSkin, Fantastico Deluxe
    20 POP3 Email Accounts
    2 Add-on/ 3 Parked Domains
    20 Sub Domains
    Perl/PHP/6 MySQL DBs/PostgreSQL
    FTP Accounts, Cron Jobs, Web Statistics
    99.9% Realistic Uptime Guarantee
    Daily Backups to our remote server are available

Cpanel is fantastic...It is a very comprehensive admin panel for your server that has addons which you enable.

Want PHP ? click the tick box
    Want a Gallery ? Choose one of 2 or 3 and check the box..voila !
    Want other Scripts enabled ? BB, etc..click the tick box and enable. voila.

I'm not skilled at PHP and other web technologies, and wondered how to get the nice toys on to my server. Polurnet have done that already with automated scripts. You just enable the script you want, and hey presto..you have an instant BB or Gallery or Shopping Cart on your site. Easy ! (And that is part of the $4.99 mo charge. These addons cost nothing extra)

I've been with Polur for 2 years now. Only once, for a day did they have 8 hr downtime, and they readily admitted that it was their fault.

When you order the server you want, you can also order a domain name which their sister company handles.

I get billed monthly $4.99 by Polur for the Server. Once a year, I get a domain name renewal ($20 i think).

And before you ask. Yes. They are in the USA.

I chose that for a delibrate reason.

Because when I get home, and notice that somethings not right, or I need help with FTP, forgotten password, etc..I can call them or use their LIVE Operator Web Support, since the US are a few hours behind the UK. Works a treat.

Good Luck !
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 22 July 2007, 00:04.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I'll chip in on the 1&1 debate.

I used them for shared hosting ages ago and while my sites were small and not business critical they were great.

The moment that the scope grew and I needed to ensure that the sites were always working it became a real problem. The server would be down for regular periods with no warnings and no explanations. Their customer support was rubbish and took ages to get through to.

In the end I switched to a dedicated server with them and that is excellent and comes with much better support.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Cheers dude, lots of good tips there. 1and1 is well known - so odd that they would be rather marginal. I'm already with Zen for the broadband but £25pa just to host a domain seems a bit silly.

Catch you all on the flip side.
    Well, I'll put forward the other side of 1&1 for them:

1. the 2 domains mentioned were only technically expired. They did not actually let them drop, so we needn't have panicked. But it would have been nice of them to let us know. Probably they are not accustomed to more tech-aware customers who will actuall do ego-WHOISes.

2. French tech were out of order in doing move/fix/restore without even telling their own 1st line support. French 1st line support were un gros tas de merde, no doubt. But the UK lot may be quite different, as indeed may the French by now. But I'll never know.

PS I also now use a cheap lot for redirecting mail, and a better lot that cost a little more, for domains that really matter. Every time I've mentioned them online though, I've been attacked as a spammer, so I don't do it any more.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Cheers dude, lots of good tips there. 1and1 is well known - so odd that they would be rather marginal. I'm already with Zen for the broadband but £25pa just to host a domain seems a bit silly.

Catch you all on the flip side.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    I use both 1and1 and Easily.co.uk. 1and1 have been cheap and cheerful for simple domains that redirect emails, but I use Easily for all the stuff I need to trust as their service is great.

Leave a comment:

• The AntiChrist
    replied
    How about LCN, they're straightforward.

Leave a comment:

• The AntiChrist
    replied
    My wife, silly as she is, is saying she needs a website and domain.
    Can we watch ?

Leave a comment:

• m47een
    replied
    Your a business and you need to find the best solution for your business needs at the best price..

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Never understood the idea of contractors looking round for the cheapest option. Do you all drive Fiestas, or do you look for a bit more quality?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Registered domains with 123-reg and hosting with cyberhostpro

no probs with either to be honest but then I don't do anything that heavy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X