• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Register domain and hosting recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used LCN and 123 reg to purchase domain names in the past. LCN ended up being quite expensive and I still get reminders telling me I need to renew domains that I have transferred accross to 123 reg (have a couple of mails telling me the domains have been locked when they obviously haven't).

With this in mind I'd probably steer clear of LCN, if they don't even know which domains they are holding what is the chance of them not knowing what has gone wrong when to get technical difficulties?

As for website hosting, <blatant pimpage> click the link in my sig </blatant pimpage>

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      I have used LCN and 123 reg to purchase domain names in the past. LCN ended up being quite expensive and I still get reminders telling me I need to renew domains that I have transferred accross to 123 reg (have a couple of mails telling me the domains have been locked when they obviously haven't).

With this in mind I'd probably steer clear of LCN, if they don't even know which domains they are holding what is the chance of them not knowing what has gone wrong when to get technical difficulties?

As for website hosting, <blatant pimpage> click the link in my sig </blatant pimpage>
      LCN lost my mail for about 3 days over a weekend last year. Started coming through in dribs and drabs mid-Tuesday.

They had basically had a complete meltdown and the whole place had gone to pot. Never had an apology or any acknowledgment that anything was wrong.

SInce then though they have been fine.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Reccomend Supanames, reliable and they also provide prompt support replies by email. Just don't put anything rude on the site, they seem a bit Mary Whitehouse.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I use 123reg to register any .co.uk domains.

.com and hosting I use PowWeb.com as I find that American hosting is cheaper than the UK.

Had three sites with them for three years at least, with only one problem so far - they found a bug in the file system they were using so the site was down for 2 days. I got a free month back from them though. No idea what the current pricing is - it used to be $7.77 a month, but there are always offers going on.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X