• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bluetooth on Linux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth on Linux

any wizards out there actually had bluetooth working on a linux distro?
    tried 3 so far. flakey as f**k!
    particularly sound (speakers, 'phones).

Bluetooth in general, or specific devices? Ubuntu has been pretty decent for ages tbh, unless you're using a (cheap) laptop with an unsupported bluetooth chipset.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

resurrected laptop. old acer V5. Linux Mint 23.1 (tries Linuxlite and puppyLinux, but mint better alround).
      BT connects ok, but no sound.
      I suspect it's the underlying sound system(s), but i Was hoping for some pointers from Unix/Linux peeps (i'm a Z/OS systems engineer).
      forensic study continuing then........

thanks anyway,
      Last edited by sadkingbilly; 16 July 2024, 10:26.

Comment

Unless you're an expert or a glutton for punishment, you're better off sticking with Ubuntu/Fedora rather than some of the more niche distros - especially with laptops. That being said, Mint is, IIRC pretty standard Ubuntu with non-FOSS codecs installed, hence your better experience.

If you bluetooth connects OK, then it's not a bluetooth problem, it's more likely a soundcard driver problem. Stupid question, but are you sure you've selected the right output device for sound?
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

yes, when available.
          BT connects, so i think you're right about the sound.
          I removed pipewire so only had pulseaudio running and got sound to speaker and 'phones.
          system restart blew that away.
          i think i'll just give up and tell him to buy a new laptop like MS wants everyone to do.
          Linux is NOT the wonder it claims to be.

Comment

This any help?
            https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=391935
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              no, pairing is ok.
              thanks anyway

Comment

so Linux mint wants to use pipewire for audio, which clashes with pulseaudio.
                removing pulseaudio totally fubars the desktop as it's a dependance, apparently.
                all online doco just goes round in ever decreasing circles.
                (basically - 'try this', 'try that' etc)
                maybe i should bury it overnight under a rowan tree after pissing on it three timess widdershins.

no wonder i hate the spotty little 'devs' who build these sh1te systems!
                wouldn't last 5 picoseconds in mainframe engineering.

feck it! i give up!
                i'll buy him a jack/jack lead.

Comment

Works on openSUSE and Raspberry Pi OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                    Works on openSUSE and Raspberry Pi OS.
                    what works?
                    anyway SUSE is too big for the machine, and Pi Os is just ridiculous for a GP laptop.*
                    thanks anyway (i think)

will it even run on intel/amd machines?

Comment

Working...
                    X