• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10 Pro sluggish internet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gables View Post

Might be related to the "fast boot" option as this affects the "shutdown" option which is not as you think when "fast boot" is enabled (default), basically it's a hibernate-like state where everything is written to disk to enable a faster reboot, a restart though is a much cleaner restart and hence possibly why this worked for you.

Google Windows 10 shutdown vs restart or Windows 10 fast boot and make your mind up.

Personally I'd disable it if you want to shutdown and power off your PC, in fact I'd just disable it :-)
    Thanks. I had the problem again the other night. I tried "Restart Windows" but it didn't solve the problem, which surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by jamsandwich View Post

I'm using a wireless usb adaptor. I tried updating the driver (via Device Manager) and it did a search and reported "The best drivers for your device are already installed".

I've ordered a Cat7 network cable. I plan to try that as an alternative to the wireless usb adaptor.
      I'm assuming your setup is something like this:

PC (wireless usb) -> Router -> Internet

When you're seeing hundreds of millisecond ping times to sites like bbc.com, try pinging the Router.

Another tool that can sometimes reveals something is tracert.

C:\>tracert bbc.com

(NB. you may see some lines with "* * * Request timed out" but this is normal going through an ISP network)

Comment

I was getting sluggish response in my browser earlier today. I tried tracert to google.com. Got one "* * * Request timed out" amongst 13 rows of results. The sluggishness seemed to go away after a minute or two.

Since then I've unplugged my wireless usb adapter and used my new cat7 cable to connect my pc to the modem/router. I then pinged google.com and the responses were around 9 or 10ms, which is better than I typically got with the wireless usb adapter (even though the modem/router is only about 6 feet away. My cat7 cable is 5m long.

I wonder if there is something about the wireless adapter that might be causing the problem. Strange how it is intermittent though; I would expect that hardware like that would either work all the time or not at all.

Comment

...I would expect that hardware like that would either work all the time or not at all.
          Me too, although I suppose it could be a software issue rather than the hardware itself.

Comment

what brand/model of wireless USB adapter are you using?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              what brand/model of wireless USB adapter are you using?
              I was using the following (before I disconnected it and started using a cat7 network cable instead):

TP-Link TL-WN822N

Comment

I was using the following (before I disconnected it and started using a cat7 network cable instead):

TP-Link TL-WN822N
                And your Wi-Fi - what is that?
                Also when you do a scan, what other Wi-Fi broadcasts are in the area, what channels are they using, what are all the devices connected to the same Wi-Fi, how many children do you have in your house, how many devices are on the same network, etc etc etc?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Since then I've unplugged my wireless usb adapter and used my new cat7 cable to connect my pc to the modem/router. I then pinged google.com and the responses were around 9 or 10ms, which is better than I typically got with the wireless usb adapter (even though the modem/router is only about 6 feet away. My cat7 cable is 5m long.

I wonder if there is something about the wireless adapter that might be causing the problem. Strange how it is intermittent though; I would expect that hardware like that would either work all the time or not at all.
                  Given that distance I'd using a cable period.

Just had a thought, do you have a wireless keyboard\mouse? I recall I once had issues with WiFi after adding a wireless keyboard and mouse, changed them back to wired and WiFi was fine again.

Comment

Do you have any dodgy electrical devices nearby?

Eldest son complained about how his wifi connection became unusable every evening. After quite a bit of digging around it turned out that the colour cycling/flashing/vomit inducing LED lights that he'd draped around the room were the problem. Turn them off and wifi was back to normal.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                    X