• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New kind of phising. Got my friends name in spoofed mail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kind of phising. Got my friends name in spoofed mail

My other half said she got a mail from one of our shared friends. Lets call her Bob Smith. The mail is from Bob Smith but when you check the email it's spoofed. Title of mail is 'fwd: (2 photos) - Bob Smith'

Content is a line saying we are ready with standard crap URL.

Missus gets all sorts of rubbish but was surprised to see I got the same email today, from Bob Smith. So a new level of weird as the spammer knows we are both friends and has our emails.

Where could they have got this from? Can't be FB because it knows our emails, can't from a mobile app? As much as I just shrug because it's scammers upping their game it's odd that it as our emails and who we are friends with? Is the data leak at Bob Smiths end and they got our emails from her?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Pretty standard phishing, I would’ve thought. If their email were compromised, it wouldn’t have been spoofed, and that is the normal patter. Probably compromised an address book or something. Have a word with Bob.

Comment

There's a chance its a coincidence, I got a phishing email reporting to be from my dad once but then got exactly the same email to the same account with a different name signing it off.

Could also be that Bob had their contacts leaked and its a really weak attempt at spearphishing.

I'd just delete it and move on - maybe tell Bob just in case.

Comment

When you say "spoofed", do you mean that the email address didn't match, or that the address was correct but it failed SPF/DKIM checks?

One possibility is that you and Bob were both sent the same email. E.g. if Alice sent a "Merry Christmas" email to all her friends and family, but did cc rather than bcc, so all the recipients got each other's addresses.

Comment

One of the oldest types of phishing, technology professionals have commonly seen this going back 15 years or more.

Typically one of the affected would reveal their email address book in the usual way and the scammers work out from there.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

What did your accountant say?

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
            X