• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5G wifi router recommendations anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5G wifi router recommendations anyone?

Preferably mains-only with no batteries that can bloat. Don't really want to spend more than £50.

Thanks in advance.

Less than £50 absolutely no chance.

Even the cheapest wired Zyxel is £200
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Less than £50 absolutely no chance.

Even the cheapest wired Zyxel is £200
      In which case, I'll wait. We've only just got 4G where we are, so I expect prices will come down a lot by the time we actually get 5.

Comment

I got a ZYXEL NR5103E when I signed up to Three's 5G home broadband, £22 a month unlimited for 24 months. The router is worth about £200 new on ebay. Download speed up to 700mbs, but rarely drops below 365. The only downside is that it's a big thing.

Comment

the problem is lack of 5G chip sets.
          The mobile providers are buying so many of them.

You can get a 3 mobile deal, but the router will still belong to them and they want it back if you cancel.
          Buying a unit you own is gonna be costly.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yep, £50 not a chance pal.

I've just bought a bunch of them, but you can regularly get the ZTE MC801a for around £100, I bought mine for ~£80, brand new sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
              Yep, £50 not a chance pal.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256110844131
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174895915807

Don't know if they're any good though.

Comment

I'd really like to get a 5g router but it seems that 3 is the only one who sells them and according to their coverage map I only could get 4g. My son gets 5g at our house all the time with his giffgaff iphone. Does that mean I could buy one of those from the links above, put in a giffgaff sim and get decent broadband?

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  I'd really like to get a 5g router but it seems that 3 is the only one who sells them and according to their coverage map I only could get 4g. My son gets 5g at our house all the time with his giffgaff iphone. Does that mean I could buy one of those from the links above, put in a giffgaff sim and get decent broadband?
                  We're also with giffgaff. They run on O2, if you want to check coverage. None of the networks offer 5G at the moment where we are (out in the sticks).

Although I posted the eBay items, I can't vouch for them. The first one looks like a Huawei; possibly a knock off. The second one doesn't mention 5G at all in the description so the 5G label might be fake.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    ...it seems that 3 is the only one who sells them and according to their coverage map I only could get 4g.
                    BTW, I'm a bit surprised that you could get 5g on O2 (giffgaff) but not 3. Where we live, 3 (and EE) have been ahead of the other networks in terms of roll out.

If you buy an unlocked 5G router, one thing you could do is get a few (free) PAYG sim cards and see which gives the best 5g signal.

I can personally recommend giffgaff but, for the same money, you get more data with smarty (3 network).

Comment

Working...
                    X