• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PDF Downloads Fail Client Side

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF Downloads Fail Client Side

Not really sure how to approach this but the scenario is this.

User buys a PDF booklet, pays via Paypal and redirects to a subscriptions page on successful payment where they click a link and the booklet downloads and opens in a new tab.

Except it doesn't always as my client is telling me she is getting reports of users getting errors downloading the file. Everything is good server side, I've put diagnostics in for the whole journey & I can also see where they are clicking the link the server returns a 200 response.

A lot of these users seem to be on iphones - is there anything in the settings that would prevent a pdf being downloaded and generating an error message? Maybe some kind of network issue?

Really have no idea how to try to solve this issue as it's occurring out there in the wild, so to speak

Have you tried it on an iPhone yourself?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=iphon...ownloading+pdf

Truns out it's one of those things because iPhones and iPads aren't designed for downloading files.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Largely Ginny View Post
        ...my client is telling me she is getting reports of users getting errors downloading the file.
        Do they say what sort of errors? The error message(s) might give a clue as to what the issue is.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Is the link to the PDF an HTTPS link? Some browsers will block the download if it's come from an HTTP link.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Have you tried it on an iPhone yourself?
            Have tried it on an iPad and various iPhone instances in BrowserStack but not an actual iPhone. All work ok

Comment

Originally posted by fulcon View Post
              Is the link to the PDF an HTTPS link? Some browsers will block the download if it's come from an HTTP link.
              No, it's Http

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Do they say what sort of errors? The error message(s) might give a clue as to what the issue is.
              No, that's half the problem - I'm getting relayed everything from a non technical client.

Comment

No, it's Http
                OK, why?

No, that's half the problem - I'm getting relayed everything from a non technical client.
                Not sure if you're the technical one, but not using HTTPS is going to cause issues with browsers and security software.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

OK, why?

Not sure if you're the technical one, but not using HTTPS is going to cause issues with browsers and security software.
                  Because it's not actually a new site as such, just a rehash of an existing site with different tech but still using the same host and SSL was never set up in the past.
                  Last edited by Largely Ginny; 21 March 2023, 09:48.

Comment

SSL is pretty much free these days so there's no reason not to use it

Comment

Working...
                    X