• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car ODB2 scanner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car ODB2 scanner

Anyone used one?

Currently looking at a couple on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Car-...i/393789590601
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOPHIX-...G/394452318366

The first just reads engine fault codes. The second includes other systems like ABS and transmission.

Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks in advance.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

What about a Bluetooth one and then use you phone for the app.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      What about a Bluetooth one and then use you phone for the app.
      Yes, good thinking.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Yes, good thinking.
        That's what I do on the motorhome (being a Fiat it's electronics and sensors are less than robust!). Gives an error code on the phone that you can then lookup - although it's not always particularly clear what the real problem is anyway - and you can clear transient amber light conditions like "Low intake temperature" which usually don't come back. You can also get a load of real time info on things like boost levels, charge rate, instantaneous torque and other esoterica, if that floats your boat.

Mine is an Android one called Torque, with ScanMaster as a backup/second opinion.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Depends on the car,
          Depends on whether you want to reset the codes without fixing,
          Depends on whether you’re going to have a go at fixing the issues yourself,
          And then look at your car insurance, home insurance, or bank account and see if they already include AA/RAC cover, where you could get a pro out to take a look.

If I got one, it would be “just cause I’m interested”, but maybe if I had an old car that I was tinkering on, I’d have a different viewpoint.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Depends on the car,
            Depends on whether you want to reset the codes without fixing,
            Depends on whether you’re going to have a go at fixing the issues yourself,
            And then look at your car insurance, home insurance, or bank account and see if they already include AA/RAC cover, where you could get a pro out to take a look.

If I got one, it would be “just cause I’m interested”, but maybe if I had an old car that I was tinkering on, I’d have a different viewpoint.
            They are purely diagnostic tools with a side order of interesting data. If you want to fix things you will need a lproper diagnostic tool which costs a lot more. Clearing a fault code only takes it out of the log and turns the light out, the original code is retained in case it happens again.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have a car of a certain age, and like me (also of a certain age), it's starting to get a bit faulty.

I want to research the fault codes before I take it into the garage, so I have some confidence that they are not replacing parts willy nilly.

I recently drove to the airport to catch a flight, and it was good to know that the illuminated engine warning light wasn't likely to result in a breakdown. (It cost me £30 at the garage for them to plug in their scanner and check the code. Hence why I'm thinking it might be worth buying one.)

Comment

As an aside, one of the fault codes that came up was with the ABS pump. I got a quote from the local main dealer for replacing the pump and it was more than the car is worth.

Fortunately, I managed to find a reconditioned pump online and got the local garage to install it for a fraction of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  As an aside, one of the fault codes that came up was with the ABS pump. I got a quote from the local main dealer for replacing the pump and it was more than the car is worth.

Fortunately, I managed to find a reconditioned pump online and got the local garage to install it for a fraction of the price.
                  Not sure I'd want to replace a faulty and fairly important brake component with a used one that may well develop the same fault...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Not sure I'd want to replace a faulty and fairly important brake component with a used one that may well develop the same fault...
                    A new one is the best part of 2 grand, and that's without fitting. Reconditioned ones are around £200.

Comment

Working...
                    X