• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions for backup software for Windows 11.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for backup software for Windows 11.

Not sure what Microsoft are doing with file history but its hidden away and doesnt seem to work properly anymore. Any recommended alternatives for backing up files and specific folders to an external drive on a regular basis?

I'm lazy and just use OneDrive for documents and I have a 'PC essentials' folder on my NAS with a copy of all the applications I use.

If you're talking about full hard-drive cloning then Acronis used to be good.

caveat: I am on Win10 and refuse to move to Win11 until I have to

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I'm lazy and just use OneDrive for documents
      It looks like MS want you do exactly that in Windows 11 and backup files and settings to OneDrive rather than use file history.

I will checkout Acronis, though I just want to backup certain files and projects to a hardrive on a regular basis, i used to have file history set to backup every hour. Most of my code is in github but it's just an extra bit of protection.

Honestly, Im more than happy with windows 11 but then I'm the type to download the latest of anything and live with it.

Edit. I think the Continuous data protection in Acronis is exactly what I'm after!
      Last edited by woohoo; 26 January 2023, 16:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I'm lazy and just use OneDrive for documents and I have a 'PC essentials' folder on my NAS with a copy of all the applications I use.

If you're talking about full hard-drive cloning then Acronis used to be good.

caveat: I am on Win10 and refuse to move to Win11 until I have to
        I'm waiting for Win12; it's gonna be awesome.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Any recommended alternatives for backing up files and specific folders to an external drive on a regular basis?
          Macrium Reflect

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Macrium Reflect
            I will take a look, I gave up on Acronis. They didnt email me the download link and their help chat cut the conversation off twice.

Comment

EaseUS has a free version for basic backup, and lots of features and options for money. Might be worth a look.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

I'm waiting for Win12; it's gonna be awesome.

qh
                I'm waiting for Win2000.

Oh.

I've already got it. .
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Acronis is probably the best tool for a single PC. Despite their assistance being sh1te.
                  But I have everything in OneDrive these days. You get 1TB with an M365 license as well as your email and Office licenses.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X