• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is changing the DNS on your router still a thing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is changing the DNS on your router still a thing?

I've been having issues with high ping and failed page loads the last week or so on my Fibre (FTTC level 1 ~40mbps) connection. The speed is pretty decent for streaming but I keep getting web pages not loading or seeing images in pages not load, and my normally very stable 15/16ms ping periodically jumping to 100-500ms - I run a constant ping to Google as a monitor.

Since I work via RDP, latency is a big deal - keyboard/mouse lag is a PITA.

I used to get this issue years ago quite often where I often had to reload a page as it wouldn't work the first time, and I'm sure one thing we did was change the DNS on the router so it would use a different server. But this might have been in the days of ADSL and I'm not sure it's still relevant. Anyone?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It's worth doing as a diagnostic step

Comment

And if you can't do it on the router (like me with BT) you'll need to set it on the device, in my case PC, to override the ISP one.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I've been having issues with high ping and failed page loads the last week or so on my Fibre (FTTC level 1 ~40mbps) connection. The speed is pretty decent for streaming but I keep getting web pages not loading or seeing images in pages not load, and my normally very stable 15/16ms ping periodically jumping to 100-500ms - I run a constant ping to Google as a monitor.
        A basic step, but it's worth clearing DNS cache on impacted devices when investigating possible DNS issues.

I use pi-hole (from pi-hole.net) as my local DNS, blocking unwanted content does seem to speed things up ...
        Last edited by Protagoras; 21 December 2022, 20:25.

Comment

DNS has nothing to do with latency.
          It does a lookup once and once the TCP socket is established for the RDP connection it won't do another lookup.

You are barking up the wrong tree.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Unfortunately, when you connect to a server on the internet, through an ISP, there's a shed load of networking between you and the server.

Although the Windows tracert command won't show details of many of the hops (most will be "* * *"), it will give an indication of how many there are. (BTW, there's a freeware command tracetcp which does reveal the details.)

If you could see just how much kit you're going through, you wouldn't be too surprised that latency is a bit variable.
            Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 31 December 2022, 09:41.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              DNS has nothing to do with latency.
              It does a lookup once and once the TCP socket is established for the RDP connection it won't do another lookup.

You are barking up the wrong tree.
              When two things go wrong at the same time, it's rarely unrelated though. When I start getting DNS misses trying to load a web-page, this is typically the same time my ping slows right down as reported by: ping -t google.com. I don't know if ping is actually resolving google.com every time or not - I might check if a ping of the naked url shows the same degradation.

As you say RDP has nothing to do with DNS (nobody claimed otherwise) so maybe my service is generally suffering. But DNS failures is a PITA as you have to keep double-loading pages.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X