• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 11 gobbles data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 11 gobbles data

(NB. obviously, this isn't a problem if you have unlimited broadband data or a highish monthly allowance eg. 30Gb.)

I've just "upgraded" from Widows 7 to a new Windows 11 laptop, and boy does it consume data.

When you first build it, it downloads a load of multi-Gb Windows updates but I'd expect this. However, every day it uses a ton more data than the old Windows 7 one. My wife has Windows 10, and I thought that was bad, but this thing is even worse.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it but I've found one thing that makes a bit of a difference; setting the network connection to "metered". That seems to kerb its appetite a bit.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Get hold of Treesize and you'll see that there's all sorts of GB files that are loaded from the Store. Including Candy Crush Saga and a few other games that you probably don't want.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Metered WiFi used to be a great way to stop W10 doing silent updates and killing your laptop just as you are about to start a presentation, I don't know if that's still the case in W11? It was a handy trick.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Despite being poorly written, there's some tips here that may help:

https://itechhacks.com/stop-windows-...-so-much-data/

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Despite being poorly written, there's some tips here that may help:

https://itechhacks.com/stop-windows-...-so-much-data/
          Thanks, I'd already come across that.

Turning off Windows Automatic Update permanently is a bit more convoluted. Stopping and disabling the service only works temporarily; after a while, it re-enables the damn thing. You have to use gpedit.msc to stop it for good but that only comes with the professional edition, not the home version. I found a script to activate it. I can share the details if anyone is interested.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Is this the same laptop you wrapped in a towel to get working?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Is this the same laptop you wrapped in a towel to get working?
              No, this is a brand new one, although I am thinking of wrapping it in something else. Tinfoil to block ******* Microsoft.

Comment

just put Linux on it then

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
                  just put Linux on it then
                  How easy is that to do, getting the right drivers etc?

Comment

'avealook here:

https://linuxmint.com/

mint has the closest feel to windoze and drivers for the most common components IMHO

Comment

Working...
                    X