• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to scrape/extract SharePoint aspx page into excel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to scrape/extract SharePoint aspx page into excel

As per the title, I'm looking for a way to extract the text from a sharepoint aspx sitepage and dump it into excel. Can't seem to get webquery in excel to work as it's complaining about authorisations despite me being an owner/editor on the SP site.

Any ideas?

Constraints include it being a client laptop so I'm not able to install python or any new software although I can run Powershell.

TIA

Pondy

I thought Excel had a native connector to SharePoint.

Check how Excel is authenticating you (default browser should be ticked or it will try to do it via IE)

Comment

CTRL A, CTRL C, CTRL V?

Im not very technical like. HTH
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

if it's a SharePoint list there is a native extract to CSV file.
        If it's any other type of SharePoint page why do you want it in Excel anyway? What are you trying to achieve?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          if it's a SharePoint list there is a native extract to CSV file.
          If it's any other type of SharePoint page why do you want it in Excel anyway? What are you trying to achieve?
          I have a sharepoint list of items and one if the columns in this list is a URL to a sp site page containing some text about the item - definition, usage, varying bits of textual info (formated based on a template used to create the sitepage).

I want to extract that text in some automated way into excel, so I can link it to an extract of the main item list as an extra column. I can do the manipulation once it's in excel - I just want to know how I can get it there without NLads ^C^V method given there are hundreds of items in the list

Comment

I'm no Excel expert, but seems there are two main approaches, one is the Excel web query and the other is using VBA code.

https://www.wikihow.com/Import-Web-D...l-on-PC-or-Mac

https://www.guru99.com/data-scraping-vba.html

No idea if this helps. Personally I avoid Excel in any kind of automated solution as much as possible.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I have a sharepoint list of items and one if the columns in this list is a URL to a sp site page containing some text about the item - definition, usage, varying bits of textual info (formated based on a template used to create the sitepage).

I want to extract that text in some automated way into excel, so I can link it to an extract of the main item list as an extra column. I can do the manipulation once it's in excel - I just want to know how I can get it there without NLads ^C^V method given there are hundreds of items in the list
              like this?

Export to Excel from SharePoint or Lists (microsoft.com)

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X