• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google MFA Without Mobile Device

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google MFA Without Mobile Device

I have broken my mobile device and it is not possible to get the codes I need to do 2 factor authentication to access the necessary apps that I need to do my job.

I am set up to use google authenticator. Can anyone yell me please if it is possible to use this without a mobile device - I have tried searching but I cannot find the required information s anywhere

Originally posted by Baddish View Post
    I have broken my mobile device and it is not possible to get the codes I need to do 2 factor authentication to access the necessary apps that I need to do my job.

I am set up to use google authenticator. Can anyone yell me please if it is possible to use this without a mobile device - I have tried searching but I cannot find the required information s anywhere
    Probably not given that the authentication options are App, SMS and phone call to known number (i.e. the mobile).

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Probably not given that the authentication options are App, SMS and phone call to known number (i.e. the mobile).
      Then I am totally stuck isn't it if this is the case and I have no options to change the method of MFA.

This is not the only issue I am having without a handy this morning - I couldn't make a purchase of a new mobile device on Amazon becasue I have to verify my payments with a authentiaction code in a text message.

Comment

Then buy a cheapo phone and a sim from Argos to start you off.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

use your backup codes.
          Sign in with backup codes - Computer - Google Account Help

or recover the account
          Recover an account protected by 2-Step Verification - Google Workspace Admin Help

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I think this is just back up codes for signing into google account isn't it? I need to sign in to my enterprise portal so I don't think this is going to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddish View Post

Then I am totally stuck isn't it if this is the case and I have no options to change the method of MFA.

This is not the only issue I am having without a handy this morning - I couldn't make a purchase of a new mobile device on Amazon becasue I have to verify my payments with a authentiaction code in a text message.
              Get off your arse and go buy one in a shop. It's not like you've got anything else to do.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Most systems have a backup process to follow in the case of not being able to access the authenticator app.

They will often have a 'I can't access my authenticator app' link on the log in screen that will take you to an alternative method. Usually it's a code texted or emailed to you. This does assume that, in setting up your access, you defined a back up method...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Most systems have a backup process to follow in the case of not being able to access the authenticator app.

They will often have a 'I can't access my authenticator app' link on the log in screen that will take you to an alternative method. Usually it's a code texted or emailed to you. This does assume that, in setting up your access, you defined a back up method...
                  No this isn't possible with sign in to corprate portal. You have to only enter goggle authenticator code there is no other option

Comment

I refuse to believe that there isn't a solution to this problem.

You're not the only contractor to lose his phone down a toilet...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X