• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Censoring youtube....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Censoring youtube....

Anyone able to help with this one?

My youngest is autistic, and watches a LOT of Youtube. Is it possible to blacklist a channel or video? He's watching stuff with loads of Roblox type characters in it with load of swear words. He then parrots what he's watched.

I can't find any way of doing it, even after buying Youtube premium. I can't put him on Youtube kids as the icon is different.

Surely there must be a way? He usually accesses Youtube on an iPhone/iPad. Any ideas?

Cheers....

b0redom
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

How to Block Channels on YouTube (alphr.com) help?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Nope. That seems to stop users commenting on your videos. I want to hide/block all content from a channel. There doesn't appear to be a way to do that which seems nuts.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

The YouTube Kids app lets you block channels, approve content and a load of other granular controls. It replaces the standard YouTube app so you'd have to remove that from whatever device he is using.

You could also look at the Supervised Experience features if you want him to have a bit more freedom while still retaining parental controls.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Are we talking browser or mobile app? I could imagine you could block individual channel URLs on your router for the former.

Good question.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The YouTube Kids app lets you block channels, approve content and a load of other granular controls. It replaces the standard YouTube app so you'd have to remove that from whatever device he is using.
            Yeah that's probably not going to work as he will realise it's a different app. It also doesn't stop browser based access on the iPad/iPhone.

You could also look at the Supervised Experience features if you want him to have a bit more freedom while still retaining parental controls.
            Doesn't look like you can block channels with that though. At least I can't see a way of doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Are we talking browser or mobile app? I could imagine you could block individual channel URLs on your router for the former.

Good question.
              Well both really. He doesn't, yet, realise how to turn wifi on/off. My Draytek router doesn't make regex filtering easy, and in any case if he searches for specific terms eg. "destroy school" it's going to pull up direct URLs rather than channels I guess. We're supposed to be getting FTTP in the area soon, so if it's a case of buying a new router, I guess I could just bite the bullet and do that.

Comment

Although I completely hate them have you thought of the various filtering parental control programs you could get and install on the machine...

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Yeah that's probably not going to work as he will realise it's a different app. It also doesn't stop browser based access on the iPad/iPhone.

Doesn't look like you can block channels with that though. At least I can't see a way of doing it?
                  You need to link your your tube account to theirs to set up the Supervision aspect and then bock the channels using your account, and they won't appear on theirs. It's not intuitive but can be done.

https://support.google.com/youtubeki...parent-account
                  Block specific channels from YouTube using your linked parent account

To block a specific channel from YouTube on your computer:
                  1. Go to the channel page for the YouTube channel that you want to block.
                  2. Go to the About tab on the channel page.
                  3. Click Report user .
                  4. Select Block channel for children. This option will only surface if you're using your linked parent account.
                  5. A pop-up may appear alerting you that similar videos may still be available on other channels. Click CONTINUE.
                  6. Select BLOCK next to the child that you'd like to block this channel for.
                  7. BLOCK will change to UNBLOCK, giving you the option to undo the action.
                  8. Click DONE.

To block a specific channel from the YouTube app:
                  1. Go to the channel page for the YouTube channel that you want to block.
                  2. Tap More.
                  3. Tap Block channel for children. This option will only surface if you're using your linked parent account.
                  4. A pop-up may appear alerting you that similar videos may still be available on other channels. Tap CONTINUE.
                  5. Tap BLOCK next to the child that you'd like to block this channel for.
                  6. BLOCK will change to UNBLOCK, giving you the option to undo the action.
                  7. Tap Done .
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    Yeah that's probably not going to work as he will realise it's a different app.
                    You mentioned this a couple of times. Is the issue he will be upset you are monitoring or that being autistic, the change of icon/interface will be difficult for him?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X