• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Headsets for teams, preferably wireless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    None of my recomendations fit youre requirements, so reading any futher will almost certinly be a waste of your time, but it might help you understanding my thinking when I chose a headset.

I have three headsets depending on the role

Jabra Evolve 40 - Solid for teams, covers both ears comfortbaly but is wired. If your headphones are just going to be used for teams I wouldn't rule out a wired device, most clientco laptops are crap and the bluetooth chip in them fails more than it works

Aftershokz Openmove - This was a left field choice as these are bone conducting so don't sit over your ears at all, great sound quality and being open you can hear peripheral conversations

BeoPlay H9 - High end Actvie Noise Cancelling over-ear headphones (look at the difference between on ear and over ear depending on your preference)

Depending on the situation I use any of the three, if I am on a client site dialing into a teams call I use the Aftershokz as I like to be aware of my surrounding environment, the BeoPlay are great for noise cancelling if the sound quality of the other end is poor (don't get me started on muppets with boom arm mic headseats that don't lower the boom so we can't actually hear them). Some machines don't have buetooth so always fall back to the Jabra Evolve's just wished they were USB-C (Plantronics Blackwire C5220 would be my choice if you need a USB-C paid). I aso have a pair of Sennheiser SC165 whcich never went back to a client that the kids use and again are basic but rock solid.

Where am I going with this? If you are just at home I wouldn't bother with a headset, spend your money on a decent external microphone and your QOL will be so so so much better, I generally don't care what other people are saying, I rarely listen, I am more concerned that people can here what they are paying me for.
    No all that is really useful thank you. I'm really liking the Aftershokz solution so I'll have a look in to that. I've never really got to grips with calls with no headphones, just not feeling it and with a giddy pup around it's better if she can't hear the other people. She's got a bad case of FOMO so any voices has her up and alert.

Clients laptop only has a USB on the right so the wire is constantly in my mouse area and my pup keeps jumping at the wires so makes sense to go wireless for now.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A bit like Simon, what I use doesn't fit your requirements, but...
      I use Sony WF-1000XM3 ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WF-100.../dp/B07T2FGG2Z ) for most Teams meetings. they have a mic in each earpiece, so you can get away with just having one in an ear. They pair well with HP, Lenovo and Apple, and are pretty good quality (and now they've been replaced with XM4, the XM3 are a bargain). Also by being earpieces, there is no issue with wearing glasses, which can be true of some headphones.

For longer calls, or where I want better quality sound, then I use my Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEBT
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-.../dp/B00SUZVLAA
      (Again, these have been superseded with the Momentum 3)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've got the Jabra Evolve 75 too. I use the dongle rather than rely on the Bluetooth chip in the client supplied laptop. It also works in a wired fashion if you forget to charge it by plugging in the usb cable.

I also have a diddy Plantronics Voyager Legend in-ear thingummy which works fine as a travel headset but gives me ear ache if I use it for too long. It's a bit more tetchy about pairing with stuff and battery life isn't as good, probably because it's now about 5 years old and is wearing out

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I've got the Jabra Evolve 75 too.
          +1 Very nice. The only issue I have with them is that they sometimes get muted at the system level, so you unmute to speak and wtf? Might be a Windoze thing or operator error, idk.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

+1 Very nice. The only issue I have with them is that they sometimes get muted at the system level, so you unmute to speak and wtf? Might be a Windoze thing or operator error, idk.
            Sometimes it will have a moment where it double mutes in teams plus on the headset or gets its knickers in a twist and teams will rapidly mute / unmute for 15+ seconds or so. I don't know if that's peculiar to the Jabra kit or just shonky MS code.

Comment

I use these, WH-CH700N, 3 years old now but still do the job. The noise cancellation is a really useful feature.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Bose QC35.

Someone else has mentioned them in this thread too. Incredible sound quality and has Active Noise Cancelling.

Very comfortable for 8 hours of back to back calls.

Comment

I went for some Aftershokz bone conducting ones as an often on calls in offices / home where I like to hear the background noise too.

With over ear ones I always felt like I was shouting ?

Comment

Second the Plantronics - Blackwire C5220 headset. Just before Covid, I used a client co supplied one and I thought it was pretty good.

However, since I started WFH close to 5 days a week, I've come up with a much better solution - I hardly ever have more than 3-4 hours a day of calls

Comment

Working...
                    X