• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upgrade to BT broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No generators?
    Some have battery backup that will give them up to 6 hours power, but that's not everywhere.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You want that satellite internet Mr Musk is selling - then you can email for help in case of an emergency.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Now is no time to be meddling with landlines

SIR – Recent letters (March 5) have suggested that the removal of BT analogue landlines and reliance on the internet for the “digital voice system” replacement may cause problems in the event of a power cut, and that this might be even more of a problem when there is a lack of mobile phone signal.

This is not a theoretical situation. Our village, which does not have a mobile phone signal, experienced a three-day power cut in November 2021 in the middle of a snowstorm. After the second day I saw a puzzled 95-year-old standing in the snow outside her house, wondering why she could not contact her family to ask for help. I walked a mile up the road to access a phone signal to ring the family and ask them to fetch her. Luckily, I had some residual battery power. We had similar problems after the recent storms.

When we consider the new uncertainties that our civilisation faces, access to reliable telephone communication would seem vital.

Professor Robert Kirby
        Maer, Stafford
        WHS.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
        X