• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart / Wifi Light switches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart / Wifi Light switches

Anyone here using smart light switches to control ceiling lights in a room? So you might have 'normal' LED bulbs but the light switch itself is connected to your wifi and you can voice control via Alexa.

I've been looking at a few on Amazon and they are reasonably priced ~£20 but reviews are hot & cold.
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 16 January 2022, 17:06.

I find a switch on the wall seems to be quite convenient, low cost and superbly reliable.

I mean, when it goes wrong, you will be sitting in the dark for quite some time.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Do Qinetic do smart versions of their wireless switches?

I have installed several of these in outdoor lighting for our drive/carpark and putting inside a ceiling is one stated use case. Been pretty happy with them, they allow you to wire in a physical override switch and you can even flash the firmware for Zigbee IIRC.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TRSWY23

As _V_ says, I would want a bypass or for the controller to be easily accessible - a hatch not plastered in - because if you can't turn your lights on or off you'd feel a right berk.

We're considering adding another to 'smarten' our electric towel rail.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        I find a switch on the wall seems to be quite convenient, low cost and superbly reliable.
        Do you walk over to your TV to change channel?

Comment

You need to decide how much you want to get into home automation - i've got pretty much my whole house set up (I went for Smarthings as that's what i found was the best choice a few years ago). I still have light switches (retractive) but can control everything via Alexa too. I don't find i do that too much, but its got the wife approval factor. I've also got motion sensors to automatically turn things on and off, and a number of other automations (eg, put house into simulated-occupied mode when everyone leaves)

I've used a mix Fibaro and Qubino relays that sit behind the light switchs (I self-installed - needs a little bit of electrical knowledge/confidence), but there are plenty of others on the market too (eg, Sonoff). You'll want to do some reading on ZWave and Zigbee, though Matter/Thread are the thing that many people are looking towards (though its already running late).
          Last edited by Paralytic; 17 January 2022, 16:00.

Comment

Avoid Lightwave if you are going down that route.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdo View Post
              Avoid Lightwave if you are going down that route.
              Care to expand on that a bit? What problems have you faced?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It was a few years ago now, but i ruled them out due to them being proprietary (do not use an open protocol therefore locking you into their ecosystem) and expensive. I quite liked the look of them though.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

They have a very small list of compatible bulbs which can be found here:

https://support.lightwaverf.com/hc/e...ibility-Charts

My bulbs weren't on that list so I contacted them to see if it was worth pursuing. They basically said that they can't keep track of every bulb on the market so try a single switch and if that works then you should be OK.

I tried a single switch and all worked as expected so refitted the entire house, all using the exact same combination of switches and bulbs. After the latest firmware update, all of my switches stopped working - when I contacted them they said that the switches would never have worked with my bulbs and that I was told this - this was complete b*tulip as I had spoken to multiple engineers who had actively encouraged me to proceed. They refused to give me a refund and suggested that I change my lights to fit the switches. Had to swap all of my switches back which cost me about £1000 in total.

Comment

I found it's easier to use wifi bulbs and have them connected to a normal light switch. These lights can be controlled in a number of ways, such as a normal wall switch, phone app or Alexa/Google Home. You can create groups and IFTTT routines.

Comment

Working...
                    X