• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Smart / Wifi Light switches"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    After much consideration I'm out. Not having a neutral cuts down the quality of what is on offer.

I think this was probably the most likely...

SONOFF D1 Smart Dimmer Switch LED Light WIFI Wireless Dimmer

...but, i'd feel like I was in a cheap Asian hotel.

I have home assistant running on a small dell wyse. Sonoff relays for outside lights with a couple of sonoff motion sensors. Couple of sonoff plugs.

Going to get some kind of radiator thing going on this summer.
    Look at Fibaro Dimmer 2 - they don't need a neutral. There are probably some others too now.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    After much consideration I'm out. Not having a neutral cuts down the quality of what is on offer.

I think this was probably the most likely...

SONOFF D1 Smart Dimmer Switch LED Light WIFI Wireless Dimmer

...but, i'd feel like I was in a cheap Asian hotel.

I have home assistant running on a small dell wyse. Sonoff relays for outside lights with a couple of sonoff motion sensors. Couple of sonoff plugs.

Going to get some kind of radiator thing going on this summer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    People who put this much time into their smart-home are unlikely to have many friends bothering them.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I found it's easier to use wifi bulbs and have them connected to a normal light switch. These lights can be controlled in a number of ways, such as a normal wall switch, phone app or Alexa/Google Home. You can create groups and IFTTT routines.
    This is fine if you live alone and have no friends or family that visit. So, fine for you

But for the rest of us who have people who will turn light switches on/off (it's a kind of a habit we grow up with), it won't be long before your wifi bulbs have no power and can't be controlled.

Or do you also have a separate wifi wall switch or relay too?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 9 February 2022, 17:53.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Pretty much everything in the house is now voice controlled, takes a bit of training but the kids have finally got the hang of doing it when I ask
    And even the cat is chipping in.. although when a cat appears to be 'helping' I can't help but feel something sinister is going on!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Pretty much everything in the house is now voice controlled, takes a bit of training but the kids have finally got the hang of doing it when I ask

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation UnLimited would be proud of you all.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I found it's easier to use wifi bulbs and have them connected to a normal light switch. These lights can be controlled in a number of ways, such as a normal wall switch, phone app or Alexa/Google Home. You can create groups and IFTTT routines.

Leave a comment:

• mrdo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Care to expand on that a bit? What problems have you faced?
    They have a very small list of compatible bulbs which can be found here:

https://support.lightwaverf.com/hc/e...ibility-Charts

My bulbs weren't on that list so I contacted them to see if it was worth pursuing. They basically said that they can't keep track of every bulb on the market so try a single switch and if that works then you should be OK.

I tried a single switch and all worked as expected so refitted the entire house, all using the exact same combination of switches and bulbs. After the latest firmware update, all of my switches stopped working - when I contacted them they said that the switches would never have worked with my bulbs and that I was told this - this was complete b*tulip as I had spoken to multiple engineers who had actively encouraged me to proceed. They refused to give me a refund and suggested that I change my lights to fit the switches. Had to swap all of my switches back which cost me about £1000 in total.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It was a few years ago now, but i ruled them out due to them being proprietary (do not use an open protocol therefore locking you into their ecosystem) and expensive. I quite liked the look of them though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdo View Post
    Avoid Lightwave if you are going down that route.

Leave a comment:

• mrdo
    replied
    Avoid Lightwave if you are going down that route.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    You need to decide how much you want to get into home automation - i've got pretty much my whole house set up (I went for Smarthings as that's what i found was the best choice a few years ago). I still have light switches (retractive) but can control everything via Alexa too. I don't find i do that too much, but its got the wife approval factor. I've also got motion sensors to automatically turn things on and off, and a number of other automations (eg, put house into simulated-occupied mode when everyone leaves)

I've used a mix Fibaro and Qubino relays that sit behind the light switchs (I self-installed - needs a little bit of electrical knowledge/confidence), but there are plenty of others on the market too (eg, Sonoff). You'll want to do some reading on ZWave and Zigbee, though Matter/Thread are the thing that many people are looking towards (though its already running late).
    Last edited by Paralytic; 17 January 2022, 16:00.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I find a switch on the wall seems to be quite convenient, low cost and superbly reliable.
    Do you walk over to your TV to change channel?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X