• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I quite like my iMac 5k...
    Likewise.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Does that mean you are using the wrong tools then? A laptop is just not the right product for the job. The trade off is clarity vs portability. I get you've got to lug it around and can't always have an external screen set up but if you are based from home then trying to make do on a laptop when it's not the right tool maybe needs a rethink? Surely a higher res screen is just a sticking plaster and the solution is external screens where possible?

Just putting out there.
      So the Surface Laptop has a good resolution for dev work with or without an external screen.... For me that ticks the boxes as I travel a lot as well as use it at home about 80% of the time. Was wondering if there are any other options.

Comment

Surely if your laptop is too high-res, you can either increase the DPI or change the resolution?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Surely if your laptop is too high-res, you can either increase the DPI or change the resolution?
          Have you tried using the laptops when they are not on the "optimal resolution"?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Have you tried using the laptops when they are not on the "optimal resolution"?
            So DPI then.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Have you tried to use Visual Studio or other MS products with that kind of resolution on a 15" screen? Not fun.
              I use the laptop for development. No problem at all. However, I do have to wear reading glasses (regardless of the resolution). I find laptops with 17" screens somewhat unwieldy.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Brand new Surface Laptop 4 just landed. Black Friday deal meant it was discounted to £1500. Loving it so far.

Comment

Brand new Surface Laptop 4 just landed. Black Friday deal meant it was discounted to £1500. Loving it so far.
                  What spec and where did you buy it from? MS are saying Jan 3rd with express delivery.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

What spec and where did you buy it from? MS are saying Jan 3rd with express delivery.

qh
                    i7, 512 SSD and 16 GB RAM. Discounted from £1799 to £1499 on MS site, delivered next business day.

Comment

Working...
                    X