• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd-party equivalent to AppleCare?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd-party equivalent to AppleCare?

I'm quite interested in getting an official Apple-refurbed machine but the 1-year warranty on an expensive machine concerns me; this isn't a £400 beige box that if it dies in 2 years I can toss (or probably repair cheaply).

AppleCare has always struck me as a total scam but is that fair? Are there other companies offering a similar product? If it goes wrong - say it just won't turn on one day - what is the experience like?
    Equally, if it goes wrong and I don't have AppleCare what are my options? Is it bricked or will Apple fix it for a reasonable charge?

As my main work machine, if it dies then every day without it is a big problem. As is having to traipse to another city to my nearest 'dealer'.
    I've never had any specific insurance on a phone or PC to know what it's like - your stories are welcome
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm quite interested in getting an official Apple-refurbed machine but the 1-year warranty on an expensive machine concerns me; this isn't a £400 beige box that if it dies in 2 years I can toss (or probably repair cheaply).

AppleCare has always struck me as a total scam but is that fair? Are there other companies offering a similar product? If it goes wrong - say it just won't turn on one day - what is the experience like?
    Equally, if it goes wrong and I don't have AppleCare what are my options? Is it bricked or will Apple fix it for a reasonable charge?

As my main work machine, if it dies then every day without it is a big problem. As is having to traipse to another city to my nearest 'dealer'.
    I've never had any specific insurance on a phone or PC to know what it's like - your stories are welcome
    I had Apple Care on a Macbook Pro. That turned out to be worthwhile as it developed a fault with the screen about 2.5 years in. Although the repair centre who fixed it weren't an Apple store and they would have done it for a price.
    The repair centre have to use genuine Apple parts for an Apple Care repair. Not if you're paying for it yourself. So my advice would be to talk to your local independent Apple Care repair centre.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's hard to tell as Applecare is a combination of accidental damage and extended warranty.

Personally I had it on a macbook pro and Apple both repaired the computer and gave me a replacement charger as well (which I wasn't expecting and would have cost £130).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yeah I have no real interest in accidental cover for a desktop. If I drop it down the stairs moving house I'd ring my house insurer.
        One assumes AppleCare makes a profit like other insurance so on average the cost of repairs of any one item is less than the insurance cost - unless Apple do it as a service that is.

I can't think of a good way to find an unauthorised, reputable Apple Repair centre i.e. one Apple would farm stuff out to.

Comment

I can't think of a good way to find an unauthorised, reputable Apple Repair centre i.e. one Apple would farm stuff out to.
          If you are in the Londonish area Apple Heroes, Park Royal are pretty good
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            If you are in the Londonish area Apple Heroes, Park Royal are pretty good
            Sadly he's in Durham and I can't think of anyone local to trust.

Also unless I'm mistaken its £189 for an imac, which ain't that bad given how much a replacement xyz would cost if you needed it repaired.
            Last edited by eek; 21 July 2021, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Sadly he's in Durham and I can't think of anyone local to trust.

Also unless I'm mistaken its £189 for an imac, which ain't that bad given how much a replacement xyz would cost if you needed it repaired.
              Yeah, we have one of those fake-Apple stores (Stormfront?) in Durham city but I think they are authorised.
              Thing is, the refurb machine I'm looking at is marked down about £250, if I was buying brand new I'd get a 2-year warranty(?) and not bother with AC so it seems a bit pointless.

My biggest issue would be speed and service in case of a failure... does AC membership get me any priority? They're not going to collect it from my house and drop off a temporary machine I assume
              In which case it boils down to betting whether the thing is likely to have a catastrophic failure or not!

Comment

Yeah, we have one of those fake-Apple stores (Stormfront?) in Durham city but I think they are authorised.
                Thing is, the refurb machine I'm looking at is marked down about £250, if I was buying brand new I'd get a 2-year warranty(?) and not bother with AC so it seems a bit pointless.

My biggest issue would be speed and service in case of a failure... does AC membership get me any priority? They're not going to collect it from my house and drop off a temporary machine I assume
                In which case it boils down to betting whether the thing is likely to have a catastrophic failure or not!
                Stormfront offer 3 years guarantee as standard see Stormfront Guarantee | Stormfront

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Stormfront offer 3 years guarantee as standard see Stormfront Guarantee | Stormfront
                  They only offer a reduced subset of current Apple products though. And I don't have a mate there who can get a discount.

Comment

StormFront are Apple authorised.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X