• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there any good software/technical online community forums left?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any good software/technical online community forums left?

StackOverflow is really great, but has seemingly ripped the heart out of most coding forums I used to love and sometimes, you want to toss ideas around or ask for suggestions rather than a simple Q&A format. Sometimes, you don't even know what question you want to ask
    Places like CUK Technical are genuinely a big help but are there any good, active forums out there related to development, design, all that stuff anyone would recommend?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    StackOverflow is really great, but has seemingly ripped the heart out of most coding forums I used to love and sometimes, you want to toss ideas around or ask for suggestions rather than a simple Q&A format. Sometimes, you don't even know what question you want to ask
    Places like CUK Technical are genuinely a big help but are there any good, active forums out there related to development, design, all that stuff anyone would recommend?
    "What have you tried?"

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

"What have you tried?"

Comment

No, forums are dead.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          No, forums are dead.
          So where is there for decent discussion rather than Q&A? Has Reddit become the defacto standard - I've never got into it? I miss the days when you could ask a question and get thoughtful replies from people who were genuinely interested in the topic rather than in getting upvoted, or who are more interested in finding ways to nit-pick your question than answer it.

Comment

I have never found one. Reddit is crap and so is every other forum.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So where is there for decent discussion rather than Q&A? Has Reddit become the defacto standard - I've never got into it? I miss the days when you could ask a question and get thoughtful replies from people who were genuinely interested in the topic rather than in getting upvoted, or who are more interested in finding ways to nit-pick your question than answer it.
              Do you mean the answers of "you're doing it wrong", when "it" is a system inside a huge enterprise of which you have zero control over are not helpful?

Comment

Don’t ignore Reddit, there are shed loads of subs on there and one might fit the bill.

But Discord is the place to go if you’re looking for technical forums.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I haven't done mainstream tech like a lot of people here for many years.
                  I do dabble with web servers and self-hosting and actually find certain Facebook groups rather helpful these days.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Working...
                  X