• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sheet-fed Document Scanners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheet-fed Document Scanners

Recommendations for a sheet-fed document scanner?

Basically I want to scan all my notes from uni so I can chuck the hard copies*. Seems I need a DADF sheet feeder type for faster scanning of two-sided docs but otherwise my research shows a plethora of possible models.

Probably going to have limited used after I've scanned all my notes so high-end models would seem overkill. Key requirements would seem to include the ability to handle at least 20+ sheets at a time with a decent feed mechanism to minimise multiple sheets going though at once.

Seen a couple under £200 but the majority (excluding high-end) seem to sit up around £400.

Anyone have any experience / recommendations?

1. yes I'm old enough that all my notes were hand-written
    2. I'll probably never ever use anything from these but sentimentality prevents me from just chucking them without making copies.
    Last edited by Dark Black; 1 March 2021, 14:10.
    Do what thou wilt

How much do you have to do? £400 to buy something just for scanning old notes seems very expensive unless you see it has a longer term use.

If it's just for the notes and probably won't need it could you not find a library or something that has a big one and cross their palms for the time?

Or keep them until after March and use the clients kit when you get back in the office?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

outsource it.
      document scanning services uk - Google Search

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510 that owes Jesus a tenner but the damn thing simply just works. Recently had to replace a few of the pick up rollers which was (a) a doddle to do and (b) wasn't difficult or expensive to obtain. I think it cost me about £250 back in early XP days.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510 that owes Jesus a tenner but the damn thing simply just works. Recently had to replace a few of the pick up rollers which was (a) a doddle to do and (b) wasn't difficult or expensive to obtain. I think it cost me about £250 back in early XP days.
          Thought you broke that one sitting on it the other year?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Thought you broke that one sitting on it the other year?
            FONLUK

Comment

Thanks for all your input .

I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid. I seriously considering one of the sub £200 scanners (probably this one https://www.ebuyer.com/455468-panaso...er-kv-s1015c-u) as it will likely come in useful in the future anyway.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Why don't you hunt for an old all in one printer - it may be big but the Officejet 8620 that sits in the garage can scan 50 double-sided pages at a time to pdf on either a memory stick or to a folder on your computer.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  Thanks for all your input .

I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid. I seriously considering one of the sub £200 scanners (probably this one https://www.ebuyer.com/455468-panaso...er-kv-s1015c-u) as it will likely come in useful in the future anyway.
                  10p for scanning?? Ouch. Might have expected that for printing because of the cost of toner and paper but scanning?

The thing I'd be nervous about is the quality of the scanner. I've got a decent office jet and I feel I have to watch it when scanning a bundle of docs. I use double sided usually so not sure if that makes a difference but I wouldn't trust it with a pile of docs even if they are a nice clean pile. If they are 'scruffy' I expect to have an issue.

I wouldn't be confident putting 50 sheets in a sub £200 scanner and expecting it to work every time. Maybe tech has moved on and they are much more reliable but sub £200 doesn't generally tell me it will do everything I need perfectly. Do they even do two sided at that price range?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Why don't you hunt for an old all in one printer - it may be big but the Officejet 8620 that sits in the garage can scan 50 double-sided pages at a time to pdf on either a memory stick or to a folder on your computer.
                    Or see if you can find an office surplus shop that has one that no long prints. If you don't care about that you should be able to pick up a good one for scanning for next to nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X