• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Sheet-fed Document Scanners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Thanks for all your input .

    I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid. I seriously considering one of the sub £200 scanners (probably this one https://www.ebuyer.com/455468-panaso...er-kv-s1015c-u) as it will likely come in useful in the future anyway.
    I doubt it. Smart phones have replaced scanners for all but larger volumes.
    See You Next Tuesday

    Comment


      #12
      Scansnap ix500 here. I decided I needed to get rid of a tonne of old crap paperwork that I probably would never need again. Old payslips, bank statements etc.

      It's an amazing bit of kit, does full duplex at some ridiculous amount of pages/minute and OCR on the fly. It wasn't cheap, but the bundled software is great, it's wireless and talks to OSX and Windows.

      I've managed to throw away tonnes and tonnes of old paper records, and when I do need to find something it takes a fraction of the time leafing through old files used to.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

      Comment


        #13
        Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        Scansnap ix500 here. I decided I needed to get rid of a tonne of old crap paperwork that I probably would never need again. Old payslips, bank statements etc.

        It's an amazing bit of kit, does full duplex at some ridiculous amount of pages/minute and OCR on the fly. It wasn't cheap, but the bundled software is great, it's wireless and talks to OSX and Windows.

        I've managed to throw away tonnes and tonnes of old paper records, and when I do need to find something it takes a fraction of the time leafing through old files used to.
        That looks like an updated version of mine. They are good bits of kit and don't take up loads of space, like a flatbed scanner does.

        It also handles odd shaped bits of paper (receipts etc) without needing to resort to a carrier sheet.

        Comment


          #14
          Maybe you could call up a photocopier company and pretend you want to buy the latest copier/scanner with a document feeder? Way back in the 90s when I used to sell copiers for a living, we used to routinely let people have a demo machine for weeks, for free. Even if we know a sale was only a slim chance of a sale at the end, at least we could tell the sales manager we had some tiny hope of meeting our ridiculous quota for the month.
          Not sure if the industry still works that way, or ever did in this country.

          Comment


            #15
            Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            Maybe you could call up a photocopier company and pretend you want to buy the latest copier/scanner with a document feeder? Way back in the 90s when I used to sell copiers for a living, we used to routinely let people have a demo machine for weeks, for free. Even if we know a sale was only a slim chance of a sale at the end, at least we could tell the sales manager we had some tiny hope of meeting our ridiculous quota for the month.
            Not sure if the industry still works that way, or ever did in this country.
            Daaaamn man. I like your thinking. V Smart.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #16
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

              Thought you broke that one sitting on it the other year?
              I thought its only the washing machine she sits on?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

              I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

              Comment


                #17
                Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

                I thought its only the washing machine she sits on?
                Depends on what service is being paid for...

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  Thanks for all your input .

                  I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid.
                  Factor in your time. Even with a sheet-feeder, you've still got to mess with filenames and organisation. Use your day rate, say it takes you a day + the cost of a machine, outsourcing will be much more cost effective.

                  But if you're still looking for one, I'm quite impressed with a Brother all-in-one we bought to be a plays-well-with-linux printer. Only needed a printer, but it's got a decent flatbed and does sheet feed. OK for the occasional A3 print as well and ink's not so expensive. We've since unplugged our dedicated flatbed.

                  Ours is Brother MFC-J4620DW and was about £200. Not sure what the up-to-date model is.





                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X