• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sheet-fed Document Scanners"

Collapse

• CalmEddie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Thanks for all your input .

I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid.
    Factor in your time. Even with a sheet-feeder, you've still got to mess with filenames and organisation. Use your day rate, say it takes you a day + the cost of a machine, outsourcing will be much more cost effective.

But if you're still looking for one, I'm quite impressed with a Brother all-in-one we bought to be a plays-well-with-linux printer. Only needed a printer, but it's got a decent flatbed and does sheet feed. OK for the occasional A3 print as well and ink's not so expensive. We've since unplugged our dedicated flatbed.

Ours is Brother MFC-J4620DW and was about £200. Not sure what the up-to-date model is.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I thought its only the washing machine she sits on?
    Depends on what service is being paid for...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Thought you broke that one sitting on it the other year?
    I thought its only the washing machine she sits on?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Maybe you could call up a photocopier company and pretend you want to buy the latest copier/scanner with a document feeder? Way back in the 90s when I used to sell copiers for a living, we used to routinely let people have a demo machine for weeks, for free. Even if we know a sale was only a slim chance of a sale at the end, at least we could tell the sales manager we had some tiny hope of meeting our ridiculous quota for the month.
    Not sure if the industry still works that way, or ever did in this country.
    Daaaamn man. I like your thinking. V Smart.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Maybe you could call up a photocopier company and pretend you want to buy the latest copier/scanner with a document feeder? Way back in the 90s when I used to sell copiers for a living, we used to routinely let people have a demo machine for weeks, for free. Even if we know a sale was only a slim chance of a sale at the end, at least we could tell the sales manager we had some tiny hope of meeting our ridiculous quota for the month.
    Not sure if the industry still works that way, or ever did in this country.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Scansnap ix500 here. I decided I needed to get rid of a tonne of old crap paperwork that I probably would never need again. Old payslips, bank statements etc.

It's an amazing bit of kit, does full duplex at some ridiculous amount of pages/minute and OCR on the fly. It wasn't cheap, but the bundled software is great, it's wireless and talks to OSX and Windows.

I've managed to throw away tonnes and tonnes of old paper records, and when I do need to find something it takes a fraction of the time leafing through old files used to.
    That looks like an updated version of mine. They are good bits of kit and don't take up loads of space, like a flatbed scanner does.

It also handles odd shaped bits of paper (receipts etc) without needing to resort to a carrier sheet.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Scansnap ix500 here. I decided I needed to get rid of a tonne of old crap paperwork that I probably would never need again. Old payslips, bank statements etc.

It's an amazing bit of kit, does full duplex at some ridiculous amount of pages/minute and OCR on the fly. It wasn't cheap, but the bundled software is great, it's wireless and talks to OSX and Windows.

I've managed to throw away tonnes and tonnes of old paper records, and when I do need to find something it takes a fraction of the time leafing through old files used to.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid. I seriously considering one of the sub £200 scanners (probably this one https://www.ebuyer.com/455468-panaso...er-kv-s1015c-u) as it will likely come in useful in the future anyway.
    I doubt it. Smart phones have replaced scanners for all but larger volumes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why don't you hunt for an old all in one printer - it may be big but the Officejet 8620 that sits in the garage can scan 50 double-sided pages at a time to pdf on either a memory stick or to a folder on your computer.
    Or see if you can find an office surplus shop that has one that no long prints. If you don't care about that you should be able to pick up a good one for scanning for next to nothing.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I hadn't considered outsourcing TBH but having had a look it seems typically 10p per page for lower quantities which is probably still going to come out over 100 quid. I seriously considering one of the sub £200 scanners (probably this one https://www.ebuyer.com/455468-panaso...er-kv-s1015c-u) as it will likely come in useful in the future anyway.
    10p for scanning?? Ouch. Might have expected that for printing because of the cost of toner and paper but scanning?

The thing I'd be nervous about is the quality of the scanner. I've got a decent office jet and I feel I have to watch it when scanning a bundle of docs. I use double sided usually so not sure if that makes a difference but I wouldn't trust it with a pile of docs even if they are a nice clean pile. If they are 'scruffy' I expect to have an issue.

I wouldn't be confident putting 50 sheets in a sub £200 scanner and expecting it to work every time. Maybe tech has moved on and they are much more reliable but sub £200 doesn't generally tell me it will do everything I need perfectly. Do they even do two sided at that price range?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Why don't you hunt for an old all in one printer - it may be big but the Officejet 8620 that sits in the garage can scan 50 double-sided pages at a time to pdf on either a memory stick or to a folder on your computer.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

FONLUK

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510 that owes Jesus a tenner but the damn thing simply just works. Recently had to replace a few of the pick up rollers which was (a) a doddle to do and (b) wasn't difficult or expensive to obtain. I think it cost me about £250 back in early XP days.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510 that owes Jesus a tenner but the damn thing simply just works. Recently had to replace a few of the pick up rollers which was (a) a doddle to do and (b) wasn't difficult or expensive to obtain. I think it cost me about £250 back in early XP days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X