• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got an Amazon Ring doorbell?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got an Amazon Ring doorbell?

Amazon's Ring logs every doorbell press and app action - BBC News
    Amazon's Ring logs every doorbell press and app action

The Ring doorbells use both cameras and motion sensors to detect when someone approaches
    Amazon keeps records of every motion detected by its Ring doorbells, as well as the exact time they are logged down to the millisecond.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I'm kind of shocked that anyone would not expect this.

My neighbour got one, they had some amazon stuff stolen from their doorstep last year. You have to wonder...

Comment

Does this apply when you ring Satan's doorbell?

Comment

There's been a number of horror stories about Ring over the past few months. Lots on The Register about their shenanigans

Comment

I've got one and its brilliant, especially for dealing with deliveries (lost or otherwise).

I couldn't really give a monkeys about them looking at footage on it as its pointing outwards. But I sure as hell wouldn't be getting a product from anyone which records inside my house.

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
            But I sure as hell wouldn't be getting a product from anyone which records inside my house.
            What do you get up to that is so interesting?

Anything recorded inside my house would be incredibly dull....

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
              I've got one and its brilliant, especially for dealing with deliveries (lost or otherwise).

I couldn't really give a monkeys about them looking at footage on it as its pointing outwards. But I sure as hell wouldn't be getting a product from anyone which records inside my house.
              It's not the recordings that are of interest, it's the aggregated activity data.

They know what phone you have, what ISP you use, your address can be worked out from the GPS coordinates and can work out when you are likely to be in or out.

That on it's own is enough for a scammer to start cold calling you, let alone flogging the data to sales and marketing companiies. Would also allow those of a more criminal bent to identify likely targets and times when the property is likely to be empty.

Or for HMRC to make sure you are in when they turn up for a chat about IR35 etc.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Nope, I’ve got an Arlo Video doorbell.
                Dan the postie arrived at 1.22Pm today.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Nope, I’ve got an Arlo Video doorbell.
                  Dan the postie arrived at 1.22Pm today.
                  Was he earlier than usual or later than usual?

Comment

Working...
                  X