• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone got an Amazon Ring doorbell?"

Collapse

• HoofHearted
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Dan the postie arrived at 1.22Pm today.
    Did he ring twice?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm kind of shocked that anyone would not expect this.

My neighbour got one, they had some amazon stuff stolen from their doorstep last year. You have to wonder...
    Wonder what? If the doorbell stole it?

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    I'm still not sure I get the interest/risk in activity data to be garnered from an outward-facing security camera of any sort to be honest.

Nobody trusts Google or Amazon right, but what's really to be gained by this? So they can work out when a random property in the UK might be empty? With technology that sends me an alert when a person is detected at the property anyway?

We've had the doorbell over a year and I can't think of a single negative - its already more than paid for itself in terms of convenience and being able to prove a courier didn't leave a package when they said they did.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Nope, I’ve got an Arlo Video doorbell.
    More importantly, what time did he leave...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Was he earlier than usual or later than usual?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Ding-dong. Who's there? Any marketing outfit willing to pay: Not content with giving cops access to doorbell cams, Ring also touts personal info • The Register

No wonder cops are so keen on Ring – they can slurp your doorbell footage with few limits, US senators complain • The Register

Ring of fired: Amazon axes multiple workers who secretly snooped on netizens' surveillance camera footage • The Register

Beset by lawsuits over poor security protections, Ring rolls out 'privacy dashboard' for its creepy surveillance cams, immediately takes heat • The Register

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by ascender View Post
    I've got one and its brilliant, especially for dealing with deliveries (lost or otherwise).

I couldn't really give a monkeys about them looking at footage on it as its pointing outwards. But I sure as hell wouldn't be getting a product from anyone which records inside my house.
    It's not the recordings that are of interest, it's the aggregated activity data.

They know what phone you have, what ISP you use, your address can be worked out from the GPS coordinates and can work out when you are likely to be in or out.

That on it's own is enough for a scammer to start cold calling you, let alone flogging the data to sales and marketing companiies. Would also allow those of a more criminal bent to identify likely targets and times when the property is likely to be empty.

Or for HMRC to make sure you are in when they turn up for a chat about IR35 etc.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ascender View Post
    But I sure as hell wouldn't be getting a product from anyone which records inside my house.
    What do you get up to that is so interesting?

Anything recorded inside my house would be incredibly dull....

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    I've got one and its brilliant, especially for dealing with deliveries (lost or otherwise).

I couldn't really give a monkeys about them looking at footage on it as its pointing outwards. But I sure as hell wouldn't be getting a product from anyone which records inside my house.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    There's been a number of horror stories about Ring over the past few months. Lots on The Register about their shenanigans

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Does this apply when you ring Satan's doorbell?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm kind of shocked that anyone would not expect this.

My neighbour got one, they had some amazon stuff stolen from their doorstep last year. You have to wonder...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    started a topic Anyone got an Amazon Ring doorbell?

Anyone got an Amazon Ring doorbell?

Amazon's Ring logs every doorbell press and app action - BBC News
    Amazon's Ring logs every doorbell press and app action

The Ring doorbells use both cameras and motion sensors to detect when someone approaches
    Amazon keeps records of every motion detected by its Ring doorbells, as well as the exact time they are logged down to the millisecond.

Working...
X