• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are traditional house alarm systems a relic of the past?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I was considering getting my NEST smoke alarms to send some json to a logic app that would send me a notification on slack if motion was detected when I was out the house. Then I decided to get a life.

But you could probably build a decent system through that kind of set up very cheaply. The motion detectors are cheap as chips.
    Guess the issue is my phone is on silent at night. I can't figure out how to set per app logic to break through silent

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Guess the issue is my phone is on silent at night. I can't figure out how to set per app logic to break through silent

Do you sleep that heavily that you wouldn't notice someone crowbarring your back door open?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Do you sleep that heavily that you wouldn't notice someone crowbarring your back door open?

Comment

If I'm not sleeping in the same building at the time, probably.

We don't all live in bedsits anyway, what if they break into the East wing while you're in the West?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If I'm not sleeping in the same building at the time, probably.

We don't all live in bedsits anyway, what if they break into the East wing while you're in the West?

Very good point. But surely you have staff for that?

Comment

To be honest if I was setting up a system I would not have the alarm go off first, have a dog bark alarm come from upstairs first for 20 seconds or something

Last time the alarm went in the night I was running down the stairs with my tackle swinging and wouldn't have a clue if anyone was in the house as I couldn't hear anything.

Anyway, avocet locks and good double glazing, that will stop most burglars.

Comment

Speaking of locks I have one of these in addition to the standard key.

SAMSUNG DIGITAL SECURITY LOCK (SHS-1321): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

Installed it mainly for convenience and to be higher and out of reach of the kids, not so much for security, as the large french door, just a foot away is much easier access point.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Speaking of locks I have one of these in addition to the standard key.

SAMSUNG DIGITAL SECURITY LOCK (SHS-1321): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

Installed it mainly for convenience and to be higher and out of reach of the kids, not so much for security, as the large french door, just a foot away is much easier access point.
                  The fire feature is interesting. How hot a temperature does the sensor have to detect before it'll automatically unlock?

It also reminds me of this:

Can't you hear me knocking? But I installed a smart knocker • The Register

Comment

The fire feature is interesting. How hot a temperature does the sensor have to detect before it'll automatically unlock?

It also reminds me of this:

Can't you hear me knocking? But I installed a smart knocker • The Register
                    Mine doesn't have the fire thingy (not the exact model I linked, just similar) I remember reading it was like 50C+ or some such, and it was proof from external tampering.

Also these are not smart locks, just digital, no connectivity whatsoever. Batteries lasted about 9m and started making distinct noise when running low and stop locking automatically. There is the standard connections for 9V battery outside for emergency, so there isn't much chance of getting locked out due to dead batteries. Also if you forget your chip/card inside you can use the code to enter. Really pleased with the performance so far, especially a that price point

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Fact is generally burglars look for the easy and low risk option

So things like
                      1) Having a gravel drive
                      2) Having security lights
                      3) Having a visible alarm system
                      4) Not having easy access to your back yard

etc will always deter the casual burglar.

However if someone targets you specifically for something you have then no system will protect you 100%.
                      + 1 for this. Police said the scum are quick and quiet, so you need to make everything slow and loud.

When I was burgled + had car nicked the one thing that shocked me was the ease of how they snapped the pvc door lock. So the big one for me was Anti-Snap locks.

If you have the nice Golf R or Audi S3 on your drive your risk is very high of being burgled. Have used Verisure for last 2.5 years.

qh
                      Last edited by quackhandle; 3 December 2019, 14:25.
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X