• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are traditional house alarm systems a relic of the past?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fact is generally burglars look for the easy and low risk option

So things like
    1) Having a gravel drive
    2) Having security lights
    3) Having a visible alarm system
    4) Not having easy access to your back yard

etc will always deter the casual burglar.

However if someone targets you specifically for something you have then no system will protect you 100%.

Comment

YouTube
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I have an outside Nest cam that looks out onto the backgarden. I'm open to fields behind me and worry about someone pinching the garden furniture. Also, have a house alarm, never use it - people ignore them. The Nest cam is pretty useful and records video for a few days, also get notifications of any movement.

The main deterrent is two noisy dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Fact is generally burglars look for the easy and low risk option

So things like
          1) Having a gravel drive
          2) Having security lights
          3) Having a visible alarm system
          4) Not having easy access to your back yard

etc will always deter the casual burglar.

However if someone targets you specifically for something you have then no system will protect you 100%.
          Yeah, you just want to make them go elsewhere unless you are known to have a lot of valuables worth the extra effort.

This is actually for the building we're putting up in our land near the road so was thinking 'smart' stuff might be handy as it'll wake us up in the house if something happens, we can phone the police and be down there in 60s making lots of noise to scare them off.

There won't in reality be very much worth pinching at all, it's the hassle of tidying up afterwards so any kind of deterrent seems a big plus.

The only modern/smart system we quite like is the Simplisafe one mainly because it includes monitoring. You can almost view the equipment as free. The Wifi hacking part aside (I'm not sure how big a fear this should really be) it lets you fit external sirens too.

We had a professional firm out to quote and they offered £300/month, which didn't include monitoring.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't even know if wifi jamming is a thing,

It's just the first thing I thought of when I looked at how the new systems work as, ehh, I know someone with a mobile jammer.

Comment

Seems like there is a jamming war going on...

Several home security systems are also equipped with anti-jamming features, built into security panels. The panel detects when signal noise goes above the threshold – indicating possible jamming – which triggers an alarm to alert the homeowner or notifies the monitoring company.
              Can Burglars Jam Your Wireless Security Alarms? | Safety.com

Comment

Traditional burglar alarm:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I don't even know if wifi jamming is a thing,

It's just the first thing I thought of when I looked at how the new systems work as, ehh, I know someone with a mobile jammer.
                  Someone definitely posted they had done so for Simplisafe; the company claimed it was an unrealistic contrived scenario, the attacker said this was not the case.

IIRC that system WILL warn you, via app notification, if communication is lost BUT it won't trigger the alarm. I'm not sure if they claimed that if you have the monitored option, a human would spot this and take a look and see the break-in.

Of course the issue with a monitored system is are you happy people monitoring you? Do you know what the cameras are doing when the system is disarmed?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    We had a professional firm out to quote and they offered £300/month, which didn't include monitoring.
                    £300/m for what? Leasing the equipment? WTF the whole lot can't be more than £500 plus another £500 for professional install if you CBA.

The main result of a burglary for us will be inconvenience from the mess. The total movable valuables are 2 laptops about £1k and £1.5k and couple of smaller electronic devices between £100-300, no jewelry or cash. I'm fairly sure my home insurance will pay enough to cover that.

Comment

I was considering getting my NEST smoke alarms to send some json to a logic app that would send me a notification on slack if motion was detected when I was out the house. Then I decided to get a life.

But you could probably build a decent system through that kind of set up very cheaply. The motion detectors are cheap as chips.

Comment

Working...
                      X