• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone been hit by a virus?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone been hit by a virus?

I use an email filtering service using IMAP and I have a well known antivirus software package. BUT I stupidly downloaded a package email "sorry we missed you etc" but I was waiting for an urgent package for my ill wife! so guard was down. A week later £1000 stolen out of Paypal. Ran another virus scan and 6 viruses found on the computer. I guess the antivirus people are always playing catchup...mad

Was it a well known free package?

Which viri did you find. You can check the dates they were created. I doubt 6 viri have been created in the time it takes for your software to update.

Why isn't your av auto running so catch them earlier?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 April 2018, 15:37.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nope that's why I use a webmail provider that scans it before I have to do it, plus I mainly don't use windows to view my emails.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Your problem is that you have only one line of defence. Stop using a schonky email provider and get a service provided by a company who’ll do additional AV/Spam/malware scanning.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Had a touch of flu in january, - does that count?

Comment

It must have been nasty as Fusemail missed it and so did F-secure. So absolutely not a free service. That said when i forwarded the email to my wife Symantec Endpoint did detect it as dodgy. But that was a few hours after i got it so they could have updated their systems. Funnily enough I stopped using Kasperskey due the the Russian thingy... not that I have any state secrets

Comment

As a matter of interest, would that mail have been delivered if it were a gmail address? I never see anything remotely like that in my gmail inbox.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Montymoore View Post
                I use an email filtering service using IMAP and I have a well known antivirus software package. BUT I stupidly downloaded a package email "sorry we missed you etc" but I was waiting for an urgent package for my ill wife! so guard was down. A week later £1000 stolen out of Paypal. Ran another virus scan and 6 viruses found on the computer. I guess the antivirus people are always playing catchup...mad
                There's no guarantee that your computer is protected from something in an email
                The only advice is to not open links or attachments in them
                Back in the day I went into work one morning and within five minutes of logging into my PC it was hit with a virus
                The computers supposedly all had up to date anti-virus software but somehow overnight someone had managed to get a PC infected
                Anybody that turned on their PC the next day soon saw it get infected
                The only option then was to shut everything down, erase the computers and reimage them

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  As a matter of interest, would that mail have been delivered if it were a gmail address? I never see anything remotely like that in my gmail inbox.
                  Unlikely.

They are one of the email providers who have good antivirus protection.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sorry about the fraud. That's the trouble with these things, they are not only getting cleverer with real names on etc. but sometimes shear coincidence, an email that looks related to something you've been doing, can make you think it's genuine.

Got a warning about a virus on my computer today but when I checked the quarantine I found it was actually a little program I wrote myself. Some old methods of embedding MS objects have now been made invalid due to security concerns.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 20 April 2018, 18:30.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X