• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home WiFi security camera setup

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Where we are, I think an alarm without callout would be pointless... nobody to see or hear as most people don't even know the house is here!
    But then, I'm not so sold on alarms. When I lived somewhere with them there was the constant risk of setting it off yourself, or your pet setting it off. Plus it only alerts you(?) once a break-in is already in progress.

The idea that if the outside light comes on or a car comes up our private drive I can take a look and see what's going on, seems better on the peace-of-mind front personally.
    the advantage of a monitored alarm is the perps know it's monitored. They KNOW someone will turn up.
    That's the theory anyway.

As for false alarms... not a problem... I pay them a service fee, if the system is too twitchy they have to fix it.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      I have a RaspPi running MotionEye.

HD
      Infrared camera
      Internet access
      Live streaming
      Email alerts
      WiFi
      Low Power consumption
      Updates over the 'Net
      Highly configurable

I think that total cost for Pi, Camera, Housing and SD card was about £60?

Better than systems costing 5 times as much. Took about an hour to assemble, setup the first time.
      Sounds pretty cool. I assume it can do multiple cameras? I'd no idea the cameras themselves were that cheap - I assume the window cleaner was talking about something off-the-shelf which is very similar to this internally based on price.

The Nest one looks pretty sweet, but with several cameras (I probably need 2 or 3) it does get pricey in comparison. Wouldn't want someone to nick my camera!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        the advantage of a monitored alarm is the perps know it's monitored. They KNOW someone will turn up.
        That's the theory anyway.

As for false alarms... not a problem... I pay them a service fee, if the system is too twitchy they have to fix it.
        How do they know it's monitored not just blaring away?

Comment

How do they know it's monitored not just blaring away?
          the companies that provide those alarms don't do an un-monitored service.
          If you see an ATS box on the wall of a house then either the box is fake, or it's monitored.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I got some Arlo kit in the Amazon black Friday sale. Seems to do the trick.
            Looks neat. What'd you pay and which did you get, HD or HD Pro?

So this uses Alexa, Nest uses Google Home... we've yet to go smart-home but I am looking at HoneyWell's EvoHome heating system. Which supports one of these things but you end up tied into using one system which seems frustrating.

Comment

The Nest one looks pretty sweet, but with several cameras (I probably need 2 or 3) it does get pricey in comparison. Wouldn't want someone to nick my camera!
              The Nest is pretty expensive but buy the best you can I say. No point in scrimping on the quality of the video or storage. The good thing about the nest is that is streaming to the cloud constantly. So if someone does nick your camera at least you know who it is

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                The Nest is pretty expensive but buy the best you can I say. No point in scrimping on the quality of the video or storage. The good thing about the nest is that is streaming to the cloud constantly. So if someone does nick your camera at least you know who it is

Yes indeed.

Rest assured.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Most expensive doesn't necessarily mean best, just best marketed

For instance the top-end Nest camera is more than a 3-camera setup from Arlo. I have no idea what real differences there are between products.

Being new to smart-home and so on, I'm tempted to get a cheaper option to try it out rather than splash in the deep end and wish I'd researched better first!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Yes indeed.

Rest assured.

Indeed. Hopefully they'd hang around long enough the cops would arrive but stealing home security systems would be an amusing specialty for burglars.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Yes indeed.

Rest assured.

Well, you will know where and when. I would imagine that most drugged up thieves are too stoned or stupid to cover their faces.

Anyway, the point is if someone does decide to burgle my house I will know they are doing it and can call the police.

Comment

Working...
                      X