• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home WiFi security camera setup

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Most expensive doesn't necessarily mean best, just best marketed

For instance the top-end Nest camera is more than a 3-camera setup from Arlo. I have no idea what real differences there are between products.

Being new to smart-home and so on, I'm tempted to get a cheaper option to try it out rather than splash in the deep end and wish I'd researched better first!
    That's true. I've had y-cam and the foscam and the nest has the best picture quality. The cloud service which I think is very important works very well.

But you know you asked for opinions you got my one and it's free.

Comment

get one of these

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Sounds pretty cool. I assume it can do multiple cameras? I'd no idea the cameras themselves were that cheap - I assume the window cleaner was talking about something off-the-shelf which is very similar to this internally based on price.

The Nest one looks pretty sweet, but with several cameras (I probably need 2 or 3) it does get pricey in comparison. Wouldn't want someone to nick my camera!
        You can have as many cameras as you have IP addresses!

The Infrared cameras have two IR illuminators which are triggered by IR motion, so they operate in total darkness.

https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          get one of these

And a barky dog to alert you someone is there.

That will get rid of them.

Though remember to shoot them in the front not in the back while they are running away, otherwise it isn't reasonable force.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            And a barky dog to alert you someone is there.

That will get rid of them.

Though remember to shoot them in the front not in the back while they are running away, otherwise it isn't reasonable force.
            Now some people would say it's a bannable offence to describe the best way to kill someone in the event of a burglary and in a professional forum. But not me I respect you for it.

As it is technical, if you look at a few vids on youtube / nest etc you will see that fairly often dogs tend to stay out the way of burglars and don't really get in the way once they are in the house. But I agree a barky dog is better than an alarm.

Comment

I used to install/manage/maintain IP CCTV solutions a few years back.

Our setups were mainly based on Axis IP cameras and Milestone VMS (there's a free version) which runs on a Windows box. Axis IP cameras are great, but very expensive.

NLUK mentioned Hikvision which is what I use on my own home, they have a wide variety of cameras and really good quality. Image quality compares to Axis but probably at a fifth of the cost. I use Milestone on a Windows box but it's bit more flexible than just a standard Hikvision/other standalone recorder.

I personally wouldn't go with wireless... if you're going to go through the pain of installing a power feed for a wireless camera, just install a cat5/cat6 cable and power it with PoE and be done with it.

Either way, dont' scrimp on it... when all you can see is what resembles someone with a head like a blurred thumb, you'd wish you'd spent an extra few hundred notes to get proper HD cameras.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Mag View Post
                I used to install/manage/maintain IP CCTV solutions a few years back.

Our setups were mainly based on Axis IP cameras and Milestone VMS (there's a free version) which runs on a Windows box. Axis IP cameras are great, but very expensive.

NLUK mentioned Hikvision which is what I use on my own home, they have a wide variety of cameras and really good quality. Image quality compares to Axis but probably at a fifth of the cost. I use Milestone on a Windows box but it's bit more flexible than just a standard Hikvision/other standalone recorder.

I personally wouldn't go with wireless... if you're going to go through the pain of installing a power feed for a wireless camera, just install a cat5/cat6 cable and power it with PoE and be done with it.

Either way, dont' scrimp on it... when all you can see is what resembles someone with a head like a blurred thumb, you'd wish you'd spent an extra few hundred notes to get proper HD cameras.

HTH.
                Sounds like a sockie for Hikvision - mods can we ban this advertising bot.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Sounds like a sockie for Hikvision - mods can we ban this advertising bot.
                  You sound like a moron - mods can we ban him for just being a moron?

Comment

Originally posted by Mag View Post
                    You sound like a moron - mods can we ban him for just being a moron?
                    Your first post and it's advertising a specific make of cam.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Your first post and it's advertising a specific make of cam.
                      Mag
                      Nervous Newbie
                      Join Date Oct 2017
                      Posts 7
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X