• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transmit TV signal (Freeview) wirelessly?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmit TV signal (Freeview) wirelessly?

NewHouse has wired TV points in several rooms but sadly not in the room I use as an office, and I'm loathe to pull up floorboards and make a mess routing a cable as the office is as far as could be from the TV aerial... 2 floors away on the opposite corner of the house.

In these modern times, is there an easy way to transmit my TV signal from an aerial socket (coaxial) via WiFi or other wireless medium? Or even through the mains, akin to HomePlug networking? Maybe simply re-broadcasting the signal so I can pick it up with a portable TV aerial; sometimes the low-tech option is the best.

I've access to either the main aerial splitter in the loft, or one of several aerial points in near-by rooms.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I used to have a wireless transmitter, you attached one part to a freeview box, including a bit that went over the infrared receiver.
    The second part plugged in to the tv and had an IR receiver on it. You could use the freeview remote to control the freeview box.

Option 2, get a smart TV and use an app like ToView on your tablet, then cast from there to the TV. (Or if the TV has BBC iPlayer built in, you can watch BBC channels live)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I used to have a wireless transmitter, you attached one part to a freeview box, including a bit that went over the infrared receiver.
      The second part plugged in to the tv and had an IR receiver on it. You could use the freeview remote to control the freeview box.
      I had one of those. It was analogue and I had to turn off the internet router to be able to use it.

These days there's this sort of thing:

AEI DigiSender 1080p HDMI over Powerline - 3x HDMI sources to 1x Output | Maplin

Quite expensive though.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

how is the TV signal strength, can't you just use a cheapo internal aerial for the TV in the office?

Comment

What do you need freeview for in your office that you can't get online?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

VLC?

VLC can do this:

https://angrytechnician.wordpress.co...lc-you-idiots/

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              These days there's this sort of thing:

AEI DigiSender 1080p HDMI over Powerline - 3x HDMI sources to 1x Output | Maplin

Quite expensive though.
              Yeah, neat but pricey.

Originally posted by sal View Post
              how is the TV signal strength, can't you just use a cheapo internal aerial for the TV in the office?
              I tried that, no signal at all. I think the house orientation means my office is on exactly the worst aspect of the house... the transmitter is on the other side of the house (typical).

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              What do you need freeview for in your office that you can't get online?
              Any TV channel that isn't online, for a start. Plus, my TV doesn't go online in the first place (granted a cheap set-top box is easy to get).

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Spector View Post
                That seems a great shout, with the one minor problem in my particular case that the PC I'd have to put the tuner card in is in the same room as the TV i.e. the room that doesn't have a TV point
                I don't want to run a separate PC just to let me do this (well not unless I set up an always-on media-server which could do this).

Actually a secondary issue is that this way I need a PC to watch TV, not a TV. Again, I don't want to set up an additional PC in my office just for TV and I'd rather not have the TV as a 2nd monitor on my main PC because a)it just gets a bit over-complicated b)I probably want a 2nd monitor for work.

Very interesting though, I might revisit it another time if I have a similar but not identical issue.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I don't want to run a separate PC just to let me do this (well not unless I set up an always-on media-server which could do this).
                  Sounds like a job for a Raspberry Pi type thing.

Found this:

Watch and record live TV on your Raspberry Pi | TechRadar

Presumably you can skip the recording part (unless you want to) and just keep the streaming to the browser part. As always with Linux though, it's only free if your time is worthless ;-)
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Interesting - yeah the rPi route does open up a lot of "but I don't want a separate PC" options since they're so cheap. I can't recall since I never used one but they support WiFi now, or easily can? So I could plug one into the loft by the master aerial cable. Otherwise I'd have to find a room which has both ethernet and coaxial sockets.

I still would need something in the office to get the signal onto the TV. I could use a 2nd rPi I suppose as a VLC client via HMDI-out. Or I wonder if one of these Google/Amazon dongles can consume VLC?

Only issue here is it starts to get complicated when I want to change channel. I like things simple so in my mind I've got a Coax -> wireless adapter and a wireless->coax adapter, so my TV is ignorant of all the clever stuff happening and my remote still works. Maybe this isn't as simple as it seems although I do come back to the "just have a small local transmitter in the house and a portable aerial on the TV" option.

Comment

Working...
                    X