• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not liking Android very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not liking Android very much

I moved from Windows Phone 8 to Android 6 when I got my OnePlus3. One of the key things I was expecting about Android was configurability and greater control over the device. But so far I'm finding it does less than my Lumia allowed.

For one thing the volume controls are very limited... alarms/calls/apps. If I want to watch a youtube video I have to turn the media volume up nearly to max but then when I play a game it's incredibly loud. I had rather expected the ability to make per-app adjustments or at least music/video playback to be separate from apps.

Grrr.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You want to try developing for Android. Nightmare. Microsoft dev tools are so much slicker.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

2 things I miss:

1. I can't find an offline RSS reader app that is as good as the one I used on Windows 8 Phone - can't remember what it was called but it was Win 8 Phone only.
      2. Car blue tooth integration just worked with Win 8 Phone, with my Android phone it is hit and miss, either all the contacts do not synch or SMS messages won't notify when they come in, the Lumia was great at pretending to be an incoming phone call so worked with any car system and then cortana could be used to dictate a reply whilst driving.

Rest I have learnt to put up with, would go back if I could but don't want to become the 0.1% minority.

Shame.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Move off the OxygenOS crap onto a proper ROM...
        Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          You want to try developing for Android. Nightmare. Microsoft dev tools are so much slicker.
          Even the Google employees I know don't like Android very much ... it's a mess right now.

I am sticking with my WM10 phone for as long as I can and will probably get an iPhone if nothing is released in the next 12 months.

Comment

iPhone all the way here, its just works

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Step 1: Download and install 100s of MBs of crap you don't want.
              Step 2: Throw yourself off a cliff because anything is better than having to use Eclipse.

Good point about the single volume setting.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                iPhone all the way here, its just works
                This.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                  Move off the OxygenOS crap onto a proper ROM...
                  I thought Oxygen was fairly minimal and well-regarded? These custom versions aren't something I know much about, what is the point of Oxygen?

OnePlus phones were originally about letting you tinker so I'm fairly sure stock Android is quite easy to set up but I'd be worried my hardware priority/silence slider and the LED notifications might stop working?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Oxygen takes a lot of getting use to, they developed it as they had a spat with Cyanogen so couldn't use their Rom anymore without legal recourse
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X