• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm not liking Android very much"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    It's just the (to me any way) stupid amount of money that they want for one then that stands in my way. Maybe the old Nexus 5 concept was too cheap for it to last.
    Motorola makes the Moto android phones which are cheap, and made the Nexus 6. As the Nexus 6 is a phablet but the Moto phones aren't they probably wanted to ensure there was a market for their own cheaper Moto phones that didn't overlap.

As Google partners with a different manufacturer with each handset release once you have started to go down that avenue of more expensive handsets you are going to continue if it is successful.

Having had a Moto G for a few months I found the bloatware on that far less annoying than when I had a Samsung. My only issue was the Moto phone was under powered.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    It's just the (to me any way) stupid amount of money that they want for one then that stands in my way. Maybe the old Nexus 5 concept was too cheap for it to last.
    Nexus 5 was where the cheap model started to fall apart. N4 was amazing value for the spec, N5 was good but not really worth upgrading for from the N4.

N6 was a step change away from that model though. And I'm now having more issues with my N6P than any other phone - drops from 15% battery to 0% in seconds (known issue) and yesterday it spent 90 minutes rebooting constantly.

With the S8 delayed and the OnePlus 3T not being in stock for the 128gb model I might just go back to the OnePlus 2 and wait.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    +1 when my iPhone broke the cheapest solution was a second hand nexus 6p. That will keep me going to the iPhone 8 arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nexus 6 and 6P straight from Google are bloat free. So it's likely the Pixel is.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Beginning of what I have had smart phones for more than a decade. Nexus only came out at the end of 2013, by that point i had switched to iPhone 5 in 2012.
    2010 actually.

It used to be a common claim from the iPhone apologists that Android was only for people who wanted to fiddle, whereas an iPhone "just worked". But it's cobblers. 99.9% of Android users have never rooted their phones or done anything but use it as is; I only ever did once with my first phone and that was as much about curiosity as the need to change anything.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Google Assistant is only available on the Pixel. Not quite its own crap but something not available elsewhere. Others seem to be moving towards Alexa or their own variations (HTC are doing their own AI self learning assistant app).
    Haven't used Google assistant, but software house holding back software to themselves in order to sell some hardware on a saturated market is shooting yourself in the foot.

Amazon are doing the smart thing by offering Alex to 3rd party HW manufacturers to ensure fast dissemination in the early days, once people get used to it it will be hard to make them switch with all the power of Amazon behind it.

I wish HTC luck with that, wouldn't hold my breath for a company on the verge of bankruptcy that dropped from 4.5% to 0.5% market share in couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    You could have had a Nexus phone from the beginning avoiding manufacturers bloatware so it's not exactly an excuse.
    Beginning of what I have had smart phones for more than a decade. Nexus only came out at the end of 2013, by that point i had switched to iPhone 5 in 2012. My friends are colleagues are about 50:50 iOS:Android don't know a single person who switched from iOS to Android, I know there are people like that, just never met any. I know i'm not doing it until something goes monumentally wrong.

What do you mean by Excuse? As the title of the thread is "I'm not liking Android very much" I shared what put me off Android and that the "fix" for my gripes in the face of the Nexus line came too late to keep me as a customer.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The price of the Pixel phones puts me off, but they remain fairly bloat free? For me, it's a shame there doesn't really seem to be an up to date version of my old trusty Nexus 5, which I still use daily.

The LG G5 that work gave me, I tolerate because it's for work, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.
    Nexus 6 and 6P straight from Google are bloat free. So it's likely the Pixel is.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It would be rather an admission of fault if Google put their own crap on top of Android... that it's not a very good OS unless you fix it
    Google Assistant is only available on the Pixel. Not quite its own crap but something not available elsewhere. Others seem to be moving towards Alexa or their own variations (HTC are doing their own AI self learning assistant app).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It would be rather an admission of fault if Google put their own crap on top of Android... that it's not a very good OS unless you fix it

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    You could have had a Nexus phone from the beginning avoiding manufacturers bloatware so it's not exactly an excuse.
    The price of the Pixel phones puts me off, but they remain fairly bloat free? For me, it's a shame there doesn't really seem to be an up to date version of my old trusty Nexus 5, which I still use daily.

The LG G5 that work gave me, I tolerate because it's for work, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I also hate bloatware and like to get the new shiny stuff that comes with major OS update, especially when forking £4-500 for a handset. Both were only achievable with rooting a couple of years ago. This has changed with the Nexus line and now the Pixel, but too little too late. Now Apple has me firmly in their grasps, where my 4-5 year old devices still get OS updates, the user experience is uniform on all my devices and things "just work"

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    You could simply use it like another device e.g. a set top box and not tinker with it. Just because you work in IT tinkering with "stuff" there is nothing forcing you to tinker with phones.
    I also hate bloatware and like to get the new shiny stuff that comes with major OS update, especially when forking £4-500 for a handset. Both were only achievable with rooting a couple of years ago. This has changed with the Nexus line and now the Pixel, but too little too late. Now Apple has me firmly in their grasps, where my 4-5 year old devices still get OS updates, the user experience is uniform on all my devices and things "just work"

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    This. Or at least this for the average Joe, where you download/install a ROM/Update with Android pre-configured with drivers, kernel etc. for your particular hardware. For unrooted device the only way to update is to wait for the headset manufacturer/carrier to release an update which is recognised by your OS and allowed to be installed.

Since a lot of headset manufacturers can't be arsed to make all the builds, verifications and support for new Android releases on all older headsets (and it's in their interest to sell you a new headset), there are helpfull people like the XDADevelopers bunch that take upon themselves to do that task and then publish the results (ROMs) for everyone to use at their own risk.

Since your original OS is locked down it won't allow you to install 3rd party ROMs/Updates you first need to obtain root access to your phone allowing you to wipe the existing OS and install one of the custom ROMs.

And this is what put me off Android (while attracting many others). I do enough tinkering of IT "stuff" as part of my job, don't want to be forced to do the same with my phone. Not to mention it becomes unreliable as often enough ROMs are full of bugs, so dropped calls, poor reception/battery life are everyday risks.
    You could simply use it like another device e.g. a set top box and not tinker with it. Just because you work in IT tinkering with "stuff" there is nothing forcing you to tinker with phones.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    It's not really "stock Android"; it's still a particular build tied to a particular device that has to be rolled out by the manufacturer. It's only stock in the sense of not having added crap.
    This. Or at least this for the average Joe, where you download/install a ROM/Update with Android pre-configured with drivers, kernel etc. for your particular hardware. For unrooted device the only way to update is to wait for the headset manufacturer/carrier to release an update which is recognised by your OS and allowed to be installed.

Since a lot of headset manufacturers can't be arsed to make all the builds, verifications and support for new Android releases on all older headsets (and it's in their interest to sell you a new headset), there are helpfull people like the XDADevelopers bunch that take upon themselves to do that task and then publish the results (ROMs) for everyone to use at their own risk.

Since your original OS is locked down it won't allow you to install 3rd party ROMs/Updates you first need to obtain root access to your phone allowing you to wipe the existing OS and install one of the custom ROMs.

And this is what put me off Android (while attracting many others). I do enough tinkering of IT "stuff" as part of my job, don't want to be forced to do the same with my phone. Not to mention it becomes unreliable as often enough ROMs are full of bugs, so dropped calls, poor reception/battery life are everyday risks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X