• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not liking Android very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Now I'm on Oxygen 4.02, Android 7.0. I don't like it much. All the notification sounds changed and I have to pick between MessagING and MessengER for SMS (why?!)
    It's a new android some defaults will change.
    You are allowed to change the notifications sounds. The phone has two SMS apps (one is the 1+ app, the other standard android), you only need to pick one once.
    Last edited by TheBA; 20 January 2017, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I'm pretty sure the 1+ is designed to let you root it easily?
      Sorry, but how does that help with wanting vanilla android with no bloat installed? Excuse my ignorance I have no idea what rooting a phone is.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Sorry, but how does that help with wanting vanilla android with no bloat installed? Excuse my ignorance I have no idea what rooting a phone is.
        It means you get root access on the phone so you can install/update the operating system and remove the bloatware. It's the same as having administrator privileges on Windows so you can install software, change environment variables etc.

It does make your warranty void though.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          It means you get root access on the phone so you can install/update the operating system and remove the bloatware. It's the same as having administrator privileges on Windows so you can install software, change environment variables etc.
          The other analogy is that rooting (unlocking the bootloader) allows you to treat your phone a bit like a normal PC. You're free to install any operating system should the hardware support it.

Here's windows 7 on an android smart watch https://youtu.be/tX2bZy4tXZE

In most case people simply use customised variants on the open source Android.

Not true for all manufacturers, for oneplus it doesn't. HTC did allow you to officially root older phones but with a restricted warranty. I had a rooted phone fixed under warranty.

Routing isn't going to make the hardware fail and a few phones can be reset so it doesn't appear as previously rooted.
          There may also be something in EU law with the seller about providing a warranty regardless of software modifications by the buyer (not the manufacturer).
          Last edited by TheBA; 21 January 2017, 10:58.

Comment

Ah, OK. Being able to remove the OEM cr@p is my main issue. But perhaps when the next OEM update came along it would reinstall it gain?

I like that my fairly old Nexus 5 (made by LG) gets updates directly from Google, without the OEM bloat. Nexus 5 updates have now ceased though, there are no updates to Nougat from Marshmallow for it.

Comment

Ah, OK. Being able to remove the OEM cr@p is my main issue. But perhaps when the next OEM update came along it would reinstall it gain?

I like that my fairly old Nexus 5 (made by LG) gets updates directly from Google, without the OEM bloat. Nexus 5 updates have now ceased though, there are no updates to Nougat from Marshmallow for it.
              Have no idea.

Last time I had a Samsung I considered doing it then the phone died. I eventually brought a Nexus 6 and while it wasn't cheap it has no bloatware.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks, I think Nexus 6 and Nexus 5X are getting Nougat (have already got it?). My Nexus 5 was dirt cheap really considering what you get. I do not need an all singing all dancing phone so GBP 600 or more for a Pixel etc... is out of the question for me.

My employer has given me an LG G5 and I hate the OEM cr@p on it and I never ever use any of the bells and whistles features on it. Glad I never had to pay for it.

Comment

Thanks, I think Nexus 6 and Nexus 5X are getting Nougat (have already got it?).
                  Nexus 6 already has it (I'm on 7.1.1)

I had Nexus 4 then 5 (4 was a lovely phone) then OnePlus one and 2 and now back to Nexus 6P

Torn between the OnePlus 3T and waiting for the Galaxy S8 next month - this one is starting to glitch every now and then.
                  First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Thanks, I think Nexus 6 and Nexus 5X are getting Nougat (have already got it?). My Nexus 5 was dirt cheap really considering what you get. I do not need an all singing all dancing phone so GBP 600 or more for a Pixel etc... is out of the question for me.

My employer has given me an LG G5 and I hate the OEM cr@p on it and I never ever use any of the bells and whistles features on it. Glad I never had to pay for it.
                    Paging NLUK

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                      Paging NLUK
                      You sure he's not a permie?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X