• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Drive - How secue with two step authentication?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Did he work for HMRC / MoD / DWP / Other Government Agency? (Delete as appropriate)
    LOL! He was a contractor at Sellafield, so the answer is kind of yes.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Thanks, good point. I do carry a USB stick on my car key ring. A friend lost his, but it wasn't encrypted, a very bad idea IMHO.

While I'm a fan of Sandisk for camera memory, their USB sticks tend to be plastic. Kingston do ones with a metal body where the loop is part of the body...
      https://www.7dayshop.com/usb-flash-d...ory-stick-64gb

The memory stick won't break off the keyring and if you lose the keyring, you'll probably lose your car too.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        While I'm a fan of Sandisk for camera memory, their USB sticks tend to be plastic. Kingston do ones with a metal body where the loop is part of the body...
        https://www.7dayshop.com/usb-flash-d...ory-stick-64gb

The memory stick won't break off the keyring and if you lose the keyring, you'll probably lose your car too.
        Thanks, I have good experience of both makers. I need to think about this. The purpose of having things in my Google Drive is that my next job is going to see me working in turn from three continents. A USB drive could be a better solution.

Comment

Thanks, I have good experience of both makers. I need to think about this. The purpose of having things in my Google Drive is that my next job is going to see me working in turn from three continents. A USB drive could be a better solution.

The most insecure place you will be is a hotel or airport. The wifi in them tends to be very easy to access other people connected on to it, so having a secure document on the internet will be useless sinc eyou have to connect over wifi to access it, then type in your password etc.
          If it's really sensitive, make sure you are offline in hotels etc.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            The most insecure place you will be is a hotel or airport. The wifi in them tends to be very easy to access other people connected on to it, so having a secure document on the internet will be useless sinc eyou have to connect over wifi to access it, then type in your password etc.
            If it's really sensitive, make sure you are offline in hotels etc.
            Thanks, good points, I am going to think seriously about the encrypted USB stick suggestion. Being in unfamiliar surroundings overseas probably swings it in favour of the USB stick.

Comment

I use a Corsair Padlock for my secure things. Physically have to enter a PIN on the device before it becomes recognizable to the machine.

There are hacks for it, as with anything, but it has some degree of automatic protection.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                I use a Corsair Padlock for my secure things. Physically have to enter a PIN on the device before it becomes recognizable to the machine.

There are hacks for it, as with anything, but it has some degree of automatic protection.
                Thanks, never heard of that. Another thing for me to look at.

Comment

Thanks, good points, I am going to think seriously about the encrypted USB stick suggestion. Being in unfamiliar surroundings overseas probably swings it in favour of the USB stick.
                  128GB USB Stick + TrueCrypt v7.1a + 7-zip encrypted archive backed up (and only ever used solely as an off-site backup) to Google Drive is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    128GB USB Stick + TrueCrypt v7.1a + 7-zip encrypted archive backed up (and only ever used solely as an off-site backup) to Google Drive is your friend.
                    Thanks very much, I'll look at that this afternoon. I'm guessing there isn't much to choose between the encryption methods, would the one built into Windows (10) not be OK?

Comment

Thanks very much, I'll look at that this afternoon. I'm guessing there isn't much to choose between the encryption methods, would the one built into Windows (10) not be OK?
                      As long as it used AES 128 or better then it would be fine.

Everyone goes on about 256 being the required standard but in reality 128 is fine. By the time anyone brute forces (guesses) the password we'll all be dead ( and the universe possibly come to an end) and anything that breaks 128 will likely break 256 as well so it's a moot point.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X