• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google Drive - How secue with two step authentication?"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    As long as it used AES 128 or better then it would be fine.

Everyone goes on about 256 being the required standard but in reality 128 is fine. By the time anyone brute forces (guesses) the password we'll all be dead ( and the universe possibly come to an end) and anything that breaks 128 will likely break 256 as well so it's a moot point.
    Thanks, I'll check that out for Windows 10 then.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks very much, I'll look at that this afternoon. I'm guessing there isn't much to choose between the encryption methods, would the one built into Windows (10) not be OK?
    As long as it used AES 128 or better then it would be fine.

Everyone goes on about 256 being the required standard but in reality 128 is fine. By the time anyone brute forces (guesses) the password we'll all be dead ( and the universe possibly come to an end) and anything that breaks 128 will likely break 256 as well so it's a moot point.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    128GB USB Stick + TrueCrypt v7.1a + 7-zip encrypted archive backed up (and only ever used solely as an off-site backup) to Google Drive is your friend.
    Thanks very much, I'll look at that this afternoon. I'm guessing there isn't much to choose between the encryption methods, would the one built into Windows (10) not be OK?

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Thanks, good points, I am going to think seriously about the encrypted USB stick suggestion. Being in unfamiliar surroundings overseas probably swings it in favour of the USB stick.
    128GB USB Stick + TrueCrypt v7.1a + 7-zip encrypted archive backed up (and only ever used solely as an off-site backup) to Google Drive is your friend.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    I use a Corsair Padlock for my secure things. Physically have to enter a PIN on the device before it becomes recognizable to the machine.

There are hacks for it, as with anything, but it has some degree of automatic protection.
    Thanks, never heard of that. Another thing for me to look at.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Thanks, I have good experience of both makers. I need to think about this. The purpose of having things in my Google Drive is that my next job is going to see me working in turn from three continents. A USB drive could be a better solution.
    I use a Corsair Padlock for my secure things. Physically have to enter a PIN on the device before it becomes recognizable to the machine.

There are hacks for it, as with anything, but it has some degree of automatic protection.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The most insecure place you will be is a hotel or airport. The wifi in them tends to be very easy to access other people connected on to it, so having a secure document on the internet will be useless sinc eyou have to connect over wifi to access it, then type in your password etc.
    If it's really sensitive, make sure you are offline in hotels etc.
    Thanks, good points, I am going to think seriously about the encrypted USB stick suggestion. Being in unfamiliar surroundings overseas probably swings it in favour of the USB stick.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Thanks, I have good experience of both makers. I need to think about this. The purpose of having things in my Google Drive is that my next job is going to see me working in turn from three continents. A USB drive could be a better solution.

The most insecure place you will be is a hotel or airport. The wifi in them tends to be very easy to access other people connected on to it, so having a secure document on the internet will be useless sinc eyou have to connect over wifi to access it, then type in your password etc.
    If it's really sensitive, make sure you are offline in hotels etc.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    While I'm a fan of Sandisk for camera memory, their USB sticks tend to be plastic. Kingston do ones with a metal body where the loop is part of the body...
    https://www.7dayshop.com/usb-flash-d...ory-stick-64gb

The memory stick won't break off the keyring and if you lose the keyring, you'll probably lose your car too.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Thanks, good point. I do carry a USB stick on my car key ring. A friend lost his, but it wasn't encrypted, a very bad idea IMHO.

While I'm a fan of Sandisk for camera memory, their USB sticks tend to be plastic. Kingston do ones with a metal body where the loop is part of the body...
    https://www.7dayshop.com/usb-flash-d...ory-stick-64gb

The memory stick won't break off the keyring and if you lose the keyring, you'll probably lose your car too.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Did he work for HMRC / MoD / DWP / Other Government Agency? (Delete as appropriate)
    LOL! He was a contractor at Sellafield, so the answer is kind of yes.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    You'll need to have a play with it to get it working, but essentially 7Zip creates an encrypted Zip Folder so you could add as many documents to it as you wanted.

It should play nicely with Google Drive, but even if it doesn't you can create the encrypted folder on your desktop and then upload it to google.

Other apps are available like BoxCryptor.

All this assumes of course, that you actually trust Google in the first place.
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I also have 100Gb cloud storage with BT but I guess it's moot who you trust. I suppose the answer should be "no one".

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Thanks, good point. I do carry a USB stick on my car key ring. A friend lost his, but it wasn't encrypted, a very bad idea IMHO.
    Did he work for HMRC / MoD / DWP / Other Government Agency? (Delete as appropriate)

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    You could 7Zip the folder prior to uploading it, but then you need to unzip it to view. Not sure if that would be possible through google drive.
    But if you want to do that, you'd be better zipping the folder onto a memory stick and putting it on your car keyring. Password protect the memory stick, password protect the folder(s). The data is secure and you've got it with you at all times.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Thanks. I didn't know you could do that. Can you encrypt an entire folder to store the sensitive documents in?
    You'll need to have a play with it to get it working, but essentially 7Zip creates an encrypted Zip Folder so you could add as many documents to it as you wanted.

It should play nicely with Google Drive, but even if it doesn't you can create the encrypted folder on your desktop and then upload it to google.

Other apps are available like BoxCryptor.

All this assumes of course, that you actually trust Google in the first place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X