• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website - Hosted on NAS or just pay hosting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website - Hosted on NAS or just pay hosting?

Ok f****ers! I 've asked the accountant, I've searched, my radiators are working at 100% efficiency and I know Spartacus was born in Thrace around 111 BC..... So we'll be having no tom****ery thank you....

So, I need a couple of pages simple website. I see 1and1 are doing some ridiculously cheap hosting (0.99 pm for 12 months then 4.99 after). I've got a NAS so was thinking about just bunging it on there. There is the downside of having an open port on to my NAS though.

What's the opinion of the techies here between the two? Are there any other advantages/disadvantages between the two options? Pay the fee and have done or keep on NAS for control etc?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Does a NAS have a web server?

Personally, I'd go for an external host. Simple and safer.

Comment

+1. I don't open up my NAS to the Internet at all.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

External host (and if you're thinking of using 1and1, let me know. I think I can get a referral bonus)
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          External host (and if you're thinking of using 1and1, let me know. I think I can get a referral bonus)
          A referral bonus for a 12 quid yearly hosting contract?

I've already bought the domain so would think that ship has sailed sorry.

Comment

Hosted properly. Regardless of security concerts, it probably works out cheaper compared to the cost of electricity unless the NAS is already on all the time and doesn't go into sleep mode.

Also, unless you have a fibre connection with decent uplink speeds (they're usually way lower than the downlink speeds they advertise), your website won't be able to serve anything decent visitor wise (particularly if it's not 100% text based) so save the hassle of hosting it at all!
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hosting or colo?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Hosting or colo?
                Private data centre.

http://www.coresite.com/solutions/co...-center-suites

AYCOTBAC?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  I've got my stuff (some for my contracting presence, a lot for my Plan B) all my own kit, colo'd here in Leeds at CCS, costs about (roughly) 40-60 quid a mo for decent 2U rack server, 1A power, 1TB data. Mounts up if you want more than that but IMHO those HP Microservers and cheapo Dells are POS. I have a non-colo'd Dell R70 I think on Fasthosts as an alternative location and it's just pure shiiit. Utterly useless, wish I'd never gone down that road...

I got SPARC, HP-UX (and OpenVMS) as well as a POWER box out there for Plan B, just need a deboom to spend time on it - need Lyosha, or Lyoshka if in bad books (aka AtW) to help me with SEO lol!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I've got my stuff (some for my contracting presence, a lot for my Plan B) all my own kit, colo'd here in Leeds at CCS, costs about (roughly) 40-60 quid a mo for decent 2U rack server, 1A power, 1TB data. Mounts up if you want more than that but IMHO those HP Microservers and cheapo Dells are POS. I have a non-colo'd Dell R70 I think on Fasthosts as an alternative location and it's just pure shiiit. Utterly useless, wish I'd never gone down that road...

I got SPARC, HP-UX (and OpenVMS) as well as a POWER box out there for Plan B, just need a deboom to spend time on it - need Lyosha, or Lyoshka if in bad books (aka AtW) to help me with SEO lol!
                    I don't know what any of that means but it gives me a lazy lob on reading it.

Comment

Working...
                    X