• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website - Hosted on NAS or just pay hosting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My co website is hosted for free on Azure.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      My co website is hosted for free on Azure.
      Free??? I'll have some of that. Tell me more....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Free??? I'll have some of that. Tell me more....
        FFS man Think of the economy you tight Yorkie git !!
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Not sure what the 1and1 offering is all about.

Rather than running a server at home get a budget VPS, say £10-£30 per year (plus your time to set it up).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...ctoruk.com+VPS

http://lowendbox.com/

Great as a hobby box but if you're not into tinkering, or CBA to learn how to type apt-get install nginx, then perhaps pay a bit more for a managed web-host.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            FFS man Think of the economy you tight Yorkie git !!
            Oh I do think about it.. A lot!. I'm thinking about it right now but enough thinking... What's this free jizzlemadizzle and how do I get me some....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh I do think about it.. A lot!. I'm thinking about it right now but enough thinking... What's this free jizzlemadizzle and how do I get me some....and then sell it to someone for cash
              FTFY
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

123 Reg do really cheap VPS packages.
                Im on the £26 a month Windows one because its useful for me to be able to bung test stuff up for clients - but the cheapest is about £15 a month if I remember rightly.

The added benefit of course is that server can then host my email etc without me having to manage anything at home

The big downside to home hosting (which I used to do on an old AMD K6 (266mhz) windows 2000 box is that your IP address is likley non going to be static, this in itself isnt an issue becuase you can use dynDns or no-ip to give you a host name that they then point at your dynamic IP - but if you want your own host name (a .co.uk for example) then you need to pay them for it, and this cost is often higher than the cost of external hosting!

There is one way you can get round the cost of no-ip but its a bit clunky.
                I like to be able to FTP to my home NAS (Backups etc get sent to it when Im away from home) so as an experiment I set up no-ip to point at my dynamic address so I have SnarfsMadeUpAddress.no-ip.org pointing at 86.123.0.231
                I then created a CNAME on www.SnarfsMadeUpDomain.co.uk to point to SnarfsMadeUpAddress.no-ip.org.

This results in www.snarfsMadeUpDomain.co.uk resolving to my home dynamic IP address (Most of the time)

That said, I would strongly reccomend setting up some external hosting.

Actually - hows this - if its just some static HTML - Ill host it for you, you can either pay me (We can work out a reasonable price) or promise not to berate me when I ask stupid questions on here!

Comment

A VPS for £2.49 a month.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-ssd.xml

Maybe they might have a sale on.

Comment

Just having a think about it.. If anyone else is interested, I'd be happy to host static sites/umbracco sites for a few £ a month.
                    Most of the time that server is severely underutilised... I might as well recoup some of the costs!

PM me if interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X